Newby advice needed

Moderator: nzuraw

Dboy
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Sweden

Hi all,
I just aquired some gear at a garage sale.
-A used Flow i-Magic T1901. It contains a bike stand for the rear wheel, a resistance unit, display and cadence sensor. (The front wheel stand is missing)
-A brand new but opened box with T1925 software 2.0.2 DVD with upgrade DVD to 3.0. It contains a display with a USB cable and connection cable to the wheel unit and a cadence sensor)

I plan to make a simple wooden front wheel stand, no problem.

Question:
-Was this a bad purchase? Is this gear obsolete?
-The software seem to have never been used. The original plastic cellofane wrapping is still on bith DVD’s. Can I still register it with Tacx? I read that Garmin now runs the show, but there are no info at all about my system, no manuals erc etc. on the web.
-Will the software run in Windows10 or do I need to install on a dedicated Win7 PC? (This is not a problem, I can do that on an old laptop)

I’m a hobby cyclist, I do occasional leisure tours on my single rider MTB near my home, or on our Cannondale MTB tandem. I never thought I would get a trainer before getting this on an impulse

Does it have a monetary value? I would like to know before I break the plastic wrappings and install and register the software and make it useless for subsequent possible users.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

The Imagic was a nice trainer in its time. but there are very few ways of using it today. The software you received can no longer be installed because there is no way to authorize it as the company shut down the Internet servers used for that purpose. So, it is completely obsolete.

There is a very old software called the Fortius software, but it only works with a 32-bit operating system. And I don't think that software will work with the white with blue ring handlebar controller you got as part of the T1925 upgrade package.

If you can get your money back, that is what I would recommend. If you want to fiddle with this older free software, there is more information on this website, but this is the kind of thing that computer enthusiasts tend to do. Here is a link:

https://lunicus.org/tacx-trainers/fortius-software/
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Dboy
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Sweden

Thanks for the info Mcorn!
I only paid a few bucks for it so I just put it aside for a while and let it collect some dust.

I have now checked the https://github.com/WouterJD/FortiusANT site and it seems my system should work ok. My head unit is indeed marked 1932, so I have hope that it would work althoug it says 1925 on the upgrade box.

The missing thing would be the connection with a CyclingTrainingProgram (CTP) so that I can get some sort of virtual reality experience, since my software is not possible to register.
Is there a freeware CTP to use? Is there some hack or crack available to get my old paid for but not registerable TTS software to work?

If not, what is the cheapest CTP to try out?

I am not really a cyclist, but think it would be fun to get it going, and more fun to use than my regular standard spinning exercise bike.
aegis
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Hi Dboy,

T1925 is I think the upgrade pack that converts a regular Flow to an i-Flow.

You don't need a front wheel stand but you may want to put the front wheel on a block to level the bike. There is an addon steering frame for the Tacx trainer but it's largely a waste of time. It's only of use in the Fortius software in the VR and I prefer steering switched off.

The Fortius software from https://lunicus.org/tacx-trainers/fortius-software/ will work fine I think but you'll have to run it on WindowsXP. If you're ok with creating a VirtualBox install of XP and installing Fortius v2.02 you're good. Don't bother with 2.03/04 as they dial home to a server that doesn't exist.

Make sure you use VirtualBox v6.0 and not v6.1 as 6.1 does not support Direct3D. You'll also need to increase the video ram in the VirtualBox settings to 256MB. There's a bit of a trick to that. Set the number of monitors to 8, then you can set it to 256MB. Set the number of monitors back to 1 and it stays at 256MB. You can get VirtualBox 6.0 from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_0

That gives you a video game experience somewhere near a poor 3D game from 2005. :D

Or, for something more up to date, use FortiusAnt and two ANT+ dongles (buy carefully - avoid CYPLUS dongles) will let you use Zwift, Rouvy, BigRingVR etc under Windows 10. Personally, I quite like BigRingVR as it supports old TacX RLV video files and doesn't require a subscription to just use those.