Cassette Wobble on Tacx Neo 2T

Moderator: nzuraw

doofesh
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Germany

Hello,

I recently got my first Trainer (Neo 2T) and had issues with mounting my 9-Speed Shimano cassette onto it.

I followed the instructions in the user's manual and installed the 1mm spacer ring onto the freehub body followed by the cassette and then the lock ring. After that I spun the cassette a few times and noticed that it wobbles/sways. Although it is secure and there is absolutely no play in the cogs or the cassette. I later removed the cassette and noticed that the spacer ring was bent. I mounted the cassette without the ring and saw that there is no sway in the cassette. However there was axial play in the cogs.

Here is a video I tool of the mounted spacer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrdC92zyW3E

It seems that the spacer sits on the splines of the freehub body and gets bent by the cassette when it is mounted onto the trainer.

And here is a video showing the cassette wobble and the accompanying clatter noise when turning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNB_r4uLpws

I have contacted Tacx and showed them the videos, they offered to send me a new spacer ring.

I believe the new ring would also get bent once I mount it on the trainer just like the first one.

So my questions on this issue are:
- Should I just ignore the wobble, or will it cause damage to the chain or trainer in the long run?
- Has anyone had a similar issue and was able to solve it?

Thanks in advance!
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

I have a wobble on my Neo (1st Gen). My cassette has separate rings for each of the 11 speeds. The smallest (11t) doesn't seem to sit properly onto the next ring. I've taken it apart countless times and rotated it according, even sellotaped it into place during assembly. Just doesn't want to play ball. In the end I left it. Switching into the 11t cog can be a little tricky at times, but there is no rubbing anywhere. Just annoying.

I know it's not the same issue as you are experiencing, but though I would share it nonetheless.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I think there is some wobble with my 9 speed cassette on my Neo2T, which really is not that unusual to me. But it looks like your spacer is not fitting correctly. As I recall, it should lay flat. I think I had to get a wider spacer than the one that came with the Neo when I mounted my 9 speed.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
doofesh
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Germany

Update:

I removed my Shimano Cassette and inspected it further and noticed that the reason for the wobble is that it has 2 protruding rivets on the back side.

2020-12-09_19h51_29.jpg
2020-12-09_19h51_29.jpg (70.34 KiB) Viewed 5458 times

The third rivet slot is empty. So basically the 1mm spacer ring sat on those 2 rivets and the remaining part sat on the cassette, which made it uneven.

I found a post on reddit where the user grinded the spacer on 2 spots and that solved the problem for him.

2020-12-04_20h03_57.jpg
2020-12-04_20h03_57.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 5458 times

I also have a 9-Speed SRAM cassette which has only 1 rivet but it is flush with the back side of the cassette.

2020-12-09_19h57_10.jpg
2020-12-09_19h57_10.jpg (58.92 KiB) Viewed 5458 times

I now have the SRAM cassette on the Neo 2T with a thicker spacer ring (like the black one above). The cogs do have a slight wobble, but they are secure and the spacer lies perfectly flat between the cassette and the freehub body.

Also, thanks for the replies. I guess the wobble is normal, I just never noticed it on my bike so I thought something was horribly wrong when it was occuring on the trainer.

BTW I just mounted the shimano cassette back on my bike's wheel, and it has absolutely no wobble whatsoever when spinning.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I took a look at my 9 speed cassette on my Neo2T today before riding and only saw a very, very slight amount of wobble. It was mostly the minor irregularities in the cogs My largest cog is 32 teeth, which shows the most wobble due to its large diameter. The amount of wobble was very small. I have a vague recollection of using a cassette that did not have any protruding rivets, nuts, or screws. I think a protruding rivet resting on a spacer could easily cause a significant wobble, so it is good you have addressed that issue.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA