Tacx Bushido T1981

Moderator: nzuraw

uk1988
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Slovenia

Hello

First of all I am new to indoor cycling ...

I have recently got Tacx Bushido T1981 from a relative that stopped using it.
He has never purchased upgrade options that was available for this unit 10 years ago.

I would now like to give a "new life" to this old dinosaur :) .
Can I connect to this old T1981 with any USB ANT+ Antenna?
Do I need to buy Tacx T2028 USB Ant+ Antenna?

What kind of data will I receive from the unit over USB ANT+?
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

You actually have the Bushido T1980 trainer. The part number of the brake on this trainer is T1981. I would suggest that you do some Google searches on both Tacx Bushido T1980 and T1981 to learn a bit more. See if you can download some manuals, etc.

I don't want to be too negative, but this is very old technology. It is not a Smart trainer and is not compatible with the current ANT+ or Bluetooth interfaces used currently by trainers. Getting an ANT+ dongle will not cure the problem. There are few software options today for this trainer. I assume you have the T1982 handlebar computer that came with the unit. You can use it to train on a standalone basis with no other connections.

Here is a link to discussions on this forum of the Bushido:

search.php?keywords=bushido&terms=all&a ... mit=Search
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
uk1988
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Slovenia

Hello, tnx for the answer.

Yes you are correct unit is called T1980 and yes I have T1982 handlebar computer.

According to the original manual it should support ANT+ ...
However I do not know how many diff version of this protocol are out there ...
I saw that you could get ANT+ USB key and Tacx SW for around 200€ but that stuff you can not buy any where ...

Pictures from original manual:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agpew2aoThlciJJB5Eu ... w?e=UzjrDZ
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agpew2aoThlciJJAulV ... A?e=wQDhhO
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

At the time this trainer was released, ANT+ did not have a lot of usage. I think the Bushido used a proprietary ANT protocol that it developed (not the current ANT+) to communicate with a PC. I think about the only thing that was usable on other platforms was the heart rate monitor. Tacx did not do anything wrong. It was just the state of the technology at the time.
Michael Corn
trevatkin
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

i have a Tacx Bushido T1981 that i have been using for some time, i currently connect to my computer using a T2990 smart upgrade kit and TTS 4.0 software and dvd's for additional routes - this automatically adapts the resistance as you ride the routes and come across various slopes
the issue is that the TTS software is no longer supported and updated by tacx
i would like to make the jump to online apps such as the tacx app, zwift or another but the trainer appears to be unsupported by them
does anyone know a hack for this or of other lesser known apps that do support it
Shane74
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Australia

Check out https://github.com/WouterJD/FortiusANT

Software currently being developed which allows old Bushido to connect to Zwift and other software.
Aeronik5.2
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Hi, Sorry that I have only just come across your post,
I too have the dinosaur that is the Tacx T1980 which I purchased new on its release, I have had a love/ hate relationship over the years as I found that I used to be spending more time "connecting" the hardware to software, both of which seemed very flaky initially, especially when trying to use headunit hours and hours of abject frustration just trying to get things working/ mails to tacx support etc. Had a few years of occasional ok use using a laptop and dongle but that does not seem to work anymore with the advent of updated software and my outdated laptop

...but the dinosaur has now taken on a new lease of life and is (currently) behaving better than it ever did!!! and am LOVING it :thumbsup:
This is using tacx training app downloaded from App Store (Version 4.14.0) to iPhone 11 pro Max (iOS 14.4)... to which is attached a wahoo ant+ 30pin dongle via female 30pin-lightning adaptor.
I find the tacx training software works perfectly for me on every level (I am not particularly competitive but enjoy scenic rides with a view to enhancing my fitness)

Have tried to get it working on my iPad Pro (usb c connection) with a view to enjoying more screen real estate using various adapters and a suunto dongle that I have kicking about but failed miserably any hints/ tips welcome, I may try mirroring to a tv via airplay
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Among other things, I think the Bushido's design of having to pedal to in order to produce power in order to connect to the rest of the world was very misguided. It would have been very easy for Tacx to make it dual-powered in the same way the Neo is (both self-powered and external powered). I think the situations where a user has no external power available are very infrequent. I had a Bushido as well and found connecting and updating firmware a royal PITA. I just gave up after a while.
Michael Corn