How much noise / gear indexing / cassette spacers

Moderator: nzuraw

Astro
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Hi all,

I very recently got a Flux S. Attempting to set it up with my bike, a 2021 Boardman ADV 8.9 with 2x 10 speed Shimano cassette.

I got an identical cassette for the trainer and mounted the bike using the supplied Thru axle fittings.

Trainer seems to work but generates a lot of mechanical noise from the drive train. At least I think it's the drive train and not the trainer. I re-indexed the gears, doesn't seem to help.

When I change back to normal bike (off the trainer) there is no mechanical noise the gears run well.

How much noise is "normal"? I used the supplier spacer for 10 speed cassettes, but have read a second spacer is needed (not sure if true; doesn't get a mention in the manual and how would I source one?)

Help appreciated. I can post video of noise if helpful but for now describe it as noisy rubbing / clattering sounds, as though things are not well aligned (despite the re-indexing).
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

Kind of hard to respond in the abstract, but my experience with the Neo2T and Flux Smart is the drive train is at least as quiet with the trainer as with a bike wheel. So, if it is really noisy, then there is something not right.

Sometimes mixing an old chain with a new cassette can cause noise. If the cassette on the wheel is quiet, you could try swapping them to see if that makes a difference or you could put on a new chain (if you have a tool, you should check the chain for excessive stretch).

In case you have not done it, you could go here for more information:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=C ... vyDodW87z5

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/10/tac ... eview.html
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Astro
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Appreciate it's a bit abstract.

The bike is new, less than 2 months old. So whilst the cassette on the trainer is technically newer than the bike, it's not by much. So I don't expect it's an old-chain-new-cassette issue.

Good idea about swapping the cassettes.

Any experiences re the number of speakers needed for 10 speed?
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I've only installed 9 speed, not 10 or 11. Be sure the cassette is running true and the spacer is sitting flat between the cassette and body. Some cassettes have rivets on the back that can cause the cassette not to lay flat. There should not be any play between the cassette and the body once everything is tightened. Spacers can be found through bike shops and online.

Check out this link:

https://tacxfaqx.com/knowledge-base/ins ... -cassette/
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Astro
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thanks.

Yes, I found that link.

My cassette isn't loose, and doesn't have a groove on the back that may indicate I needed another spacer. So believe it's installed correctly.

Going to take it back to LBS and see if they can configure it correctly. It's definitely not aligned correctly somehow.
Kotts
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

FWIW: The cassettes with the groove on the back are intended for Mountain Bikes, mostly because mountain bike hubs need t be a bit beefier then road bike hubs, so the cassette needs to sit further inboard on the freehub. Unless your lowest cog is something more than 32 teeth, it probably doesn't have that cutout.

It sounds more like an indexing problem than anything else. Is it possible that your bike isn't aligned? If it has QR axles, your bike could be canted slightly relative to the trainer, which could act like an indexing problem.