Connect classic Tacx Flow to training app over Bluetooth/ANT?

Moderator: nzuraw

jdevos
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Belgium

Hello,
I use since 2010 a Tacx Flow, that I am pleased of. It's 'rotating unit' that pushes against the rear-wheel is connected via a cable to the small display, mounted on the handlebar. The cadence sensor is passive and connects in turn via a cable to the 'unit'. So, the unit collects all info (cadence by the above mentioned sensor, speed by the # of wheel rotations per time, estimated power ...) and sends it to the display for visualization. Till here, no rocket science ...
Now my question : is it possible to connect the unit's cable to some Bluetooth/ANT device, which relays the data (collected by the 'unit') over Bluetooth/ANT to the app?
I understand the 'normal way' is to use the Tacx Speed/Cadence sensor autonomously, which has Bluetooth/ANT on board, such that it connects directly into the app. But this would require me to continue to the classic small display as well, to calibrate, set the resistance (-4 to +13), and see the calculated power.
Thank you for any suggestion.
mickyduck
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Maybe this ?

https://github.com/WouterJD/FortiusANT

Already details posted in this topic

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=483
jdevos
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thank you for your replies, but it is not what I am looking for. The device mentioned in the replies converts wired USB to wireless ANT/Bleutooth. But, my TACX Flow does not have an USB connection. The small display connects to the 'unit' by a cable with at both ends a connector like a RJ-45, like the ones used to click a telephone into the wall outlet.
After some searching on the Web it looks like there exists a version of the display that *does* have an USB outlet (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJnNPmKNKq0). The rest of the Tacx looks just the same as mine (unit, passive cadence sensor, dual sided RJ-45 cable to connect unit to small display). It seems all what is needed is to connect the USB of the small display to the USB of the PC. Alternatively, you could also connect the display's USB to the converter mentioned in the replies for relay in ANT or Bluetooth to smartphone or tablet.
Can anybody confirm all I need is a replacement of my non-USB handlebar display by the one that has USB? And if so, can this USB-display be procured separately (and at which approx. price)?
Last edited by jdevos on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickyduck
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

sorry you have exhausted my knowledge .. good luck maybe someone else will be able to helo
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I am assuming that you have the T2200.26 handlebar unit, which connected to the Flow brake for standalone use. Is this what you have:

Flow T2200.26 Standalone Computer.jpg
Flow T2200.26 Standalone Computer.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 10774 times
Most older Flow brakes were sold with a handlebar computer that had a USB plug for connection to a PC. If you have found one of the USB connect models, like the T1932 in the video (white with a blue ring), you would have to go through a lot to get it adapted for ANT+ use. Frankly, a much easier route is to buy a Flow Smart if you can find one. They are very reasonably priced and work quite well.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
jdevos
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Hello,

I'm interested in the same topic. I have a Tacx Flow (2010) with the basic (in my case, orange) display on the handlebar, like illustrated above. It was suggested in this post to replace this display with a T1932, having an USB interface on-board, to connect to the PC. It was stated that "you would have to go through a lot to get it adapted for ANT+ use.".
However, I am not interested in wireless. It is enough that I connect the T1932 (or its successor, T1942) via USB cable to PC.
I found a T1942 on the web priced at 75€, quite a lot cheaper than a new Flow Smart trainer (250€), and from a sustainability perspective, I have not a good feeling to put aside a rather voluminous device that is still in perfect shape. So, I suppose that all what was stated for the T1932 is also valid for the T1942?
I have another question : assuming the above USB construct (display to PC) would work, how will the software on the PC steer the resistance on the Tacx break unit? When the slope of the simulated track increases, will PC give this information to the T1932, which in turn will relay it to the brake unit, to increase resistance? Or will the software just 'inform' the user to manually increase resistance by acting upon the buttons on the T1932?
Thank you for any comments.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

As I replied earlier, getting your Flow to work with ANT is a challenge and requires a fair amount of technical knowledge and skill. Please look at the links above in this thread. Here is a link to the FortiusANT manual. You can judge whether you want to go through this before you buy a new handlebar unit.

https://github.com/WouterJD/FortiusANT/ ... Manual.pdf

If you are able to get this conversion working, brake resistance would change automatically.

According to the Fortius/ANT folks, there is a method of bridging FortiusANT to Bluetooth. Here is a link, but none of this is for the faint of heart or amateurs. It is all fairly technical.

https://github.com/WouterJD/FortiusANT/ ... uetooth.md

Bluetooth implementation is also discussed on p. 24 of the manual that I posted a link to.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA