Genius Smart connection/resistance issues

Moderator: nzuraw

Leanmeanmachine
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Germany

Since 2 weeks my Genius behaves strange:
- when starting training easy spinning after approx. 5 mins Genius accelerates and I feel no resistance
- when I brake the rear wheel to full stop and accelerate again I can pedal normal for a few seconds then accelerate again and over again
- sometimes connection drops as well (no watts in Zwift)
- After approx. 30 mins and several retries I can Zwift a regular session
- in This mode it’s also quiet hard to get the Trainer calibrated (seems that connection drops - I can not finish the calibration)

Contacted Garmin support- maybe you guys here have any idea? Thx!
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

You did not mention which model of Genius this is. Sounds like either a wireless connection issue (maybe something else is interfering) or a serious problem with brake itself.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Leanmeanmachine
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Hi Michael - thanks for the reply!

It’s a genius smart (see attached screenshot). Tried several times BT (onboard) or ANT Dongle- seems that the communication issue follows also the weird “acceleration” and wattage drops. Sometimes (if I do not brake early enough during acceleration) all the LED turn red and I have to restart the Genius. When I checked Zwiftalyzer log I see a lot of drops in the beginning- then after 30 mins I have a chance of normal training.

Any idea which part of the Electronic could cause this “warming up” effect? Is there a grounding issue or a damaged capacitor?

I’m running out of ideas-I guess I have to open entirely (I just removed and replygged the electronic “side”. Did not access the PCB.

Best regards!
Matthias
Attachments
1F6A1DD4-4CFD-45DA-AC1C-A5027E8770E3.jpeg
1F6A1DD4-4CFD-45DA-AC1C-A5027E8770E3.jpeg (173.11 KiB) Viewed 9369 times
Leanmeanmachine
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Opened it today- no thermal signs/issues found. Reassembled and added contact spray on the contacts of the PCB. Reassembled and tested - still dropouts and package losses.
Changed WiFi router settings to channel 1. Also no help. Switched to BT connection for Zwift - it seems that the issue is then worse...

Any other ideas?

Best
Matthias
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Which program screen shot are you showing above?

Have you tried the Tacx Utility App (either Android or Apple)?
Michael Corn
Leanmeanmachine
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Screenshot is taken from Taxcx Training App on iPhone. I tried also the Tacx utility App (alignment and calibration).

As stated before: if calibration runs through (you can follow it better in Training app as you see the spinning speeds) the genius still does not work for roughly 30 mins.

When I checked the last zwiftalyzer logs it shows huge (22%) packet loss and every other minute a ant+ repairing...the other ant+ senders (ngeco and hr-strap) have only 4%. After 30 mins the packet-loss goes down and no reconnects. It’s weird.

I will give a usb extension a try and then waiting for response from garmin/Tacx support.

Best
M.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Yes, for ANT+, I always used a USB extension (do not exceed 5 meters total USB length) to get the transmitter closer to the brake.

I would try Bluetooth which seems more tolerant of distance. If you get the same result, then there is likely a problem with the brake itself.
Michael Corn
carlaltdelete
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Netherlands

I have exactly the same issue with my Tacx genius smart. I suspect it to be software related because it is unpredictable. Sometimes it works as expected, sometimes not. If anyone has solutions/ideas I am happy!