Tacx wired cadence sensor T1610

Moderator: nzuraw

Audaxrider
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Wales

Does anyone have a tacx cadence sensor they wish to sell? Mine has stopped working and I don’t know how to test

Any help greatly received
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

Audaxrider wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:45 pm Does anyone have a tacx cadence sensor they wish to sell? Mine has stopped working and I don’t know how to test

Any help greatly received
I don't recognize the T1610 number. What software and trainer are you using? If it is an old Fortius or Imagic (Flow) trainer, the cadence sensor is a simple on-off switch. It is basically a reed switch that closes when a magnet is adjacent to the sensor. You can test that type of sensor with a simple ohmmeter. If the sensor is good, then there may be a problem with the brake.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Audaxrider
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

It’s the tacx basic model might be T1601
Could you tell me how to test I have a multi meter please run through how to go about testing the item I presume I attach the two leads from the multi meter to the jack plug. If the reed is ok what reading should I get when the magnet passes over the sensor ?
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Audaxrider wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:17 am It’s the tacx basic model might be T1601
Could you tell me how to test I have a multi meter please run through how to go about testing the item I presume I attach the two leads from the multi meter to the jack plug. If the reed is ok what reading should I get when the magnet passes over the sensor ?
It is an on-off switch. When there is no magnet next to the sensor, resistance is infinite. When a magnet is next to the sensor, the reed switch closes and the resistance should be close to zero. It is possible that the cord itself is bad, so look for wear or kinks. This is a very old style of cadence sensor that was used for a number of bike computers like very, very old CatEye bike computers. If it is very quiet and you have good hearing, you can sometimes hear the reed switch click when the magnet closes the switch if you get very close. Just to be sure we are talking about the same part, the Tacx Part No. for this sensor is T1947.01.
T1947.01 Tacx Cadence Sensor.jpg
T1947.01 Tacx Cadence Sensor.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 12436 times
Michael Corn
Audaxrider
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Yes that’s the part. I put ohms setting on electric meter and flashed the magnet over the reed but the reading stays at zero so I suspect the reed has corroded,

I’m going to try and source a replacement which I know will be impossible. How can I make one of these ?
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Audaxrider wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:14 pm Yes that’s the part. I put ohms setting on electric meter and flashed the magnet over the reed but the reading stays at zero so I suspect the reed has corroded,

I’m going to try and source a replacement which I know will be impossible. How can I make one of these ?
You might be able to find one as making one is kind of hard. Look on eBay, etc. You might find a magnetic reed-switch sensor with a different type of plug, so you could splice the old plug on. As said before, look for something wrong with the cord itself as these reed switches usually have a very long life. I assume you confirmed that your magnetic is good.
Michael Corn