Unable to get any response from TACX

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

hb99
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: New Zealand

Thanks for a very useful blog - even if some of the content has been rather worrying.
I have had a TACX Neo Smart for a couple of years and was happy using TTS4 Advanced, including importing favourite ride routes and following these on maps in addition to the supplied options.
Unfortunately my laptop spat the dummy and refused to start, forcing me to restore form a previous save point. Despite this being long after I had installed TTS4, there is no sign of the program now that the laptop is back to life. I tried to reinstall TTS4, but found the problem of not being able to get my licence code accepted.
I emailed TACX support, who had been excellent with previous queries, but it appears that since the Garmin takeover any concept of customer service has been lost. I am in New Zealand and there is no longer any trace of an agency here. The outlet I purchased from referred me to the website. Everything is directed to Australia, including my unanswered email queries - oldest now nearly 2 weeks. Has anyone else been able to get meaningful support recently?
If there is a way to reinstall and activate the TTS4 software that I have not found on the forum, please point me there!
I guess my only other option is TDA. However, the website is very vague about the "free trial", what this offers (a whole 25km of riding is mentioned - wow) and whether there is any way to use TDA without paying a subscription. I am loathe to pay a subscription if there is effectively no support from TACX.
A comparison between TTS and TDA would be helpful if anyone can provide this.
Thanks in anticipation
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper
USER_FLAG: Russia

hb99 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:03 am I tried to reinstall TTS4, but found the problem of not being able to get my licence code accepted.
As I understand it, we are talking about the same laptop.
Provide the exact text of the TTS4’s response to the attempt to activate the license.

Perhaps you should try a new reinstall, with the removal (moving to another location) of the license file:
C:\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\tts4.lic
hb99 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:03 am I emailed TACX support,
Has anyone else been able to get meaningful support recently?
Try their twitter, it looks alive:
https://twitter.com/TacxSupport/
hb99 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:03 am A comparison between TTS and TDA would be helpful if anyone can provide this.
TDA has significantly less functionality and compatibility. But now, other regular users will tell you about how beautiful, delightful and charming this application is.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

It is very quick and easy to install TDA and give it a quick look to see if you like it. You can buy one month and cancel if you don't like it. The cost for a month is pretty low. My personal view is that TDA is quite a bit nicer program and much less buggy than TTS4, but I know others may not agree.

As far as TTS goes, the license serving is currently up and working. I have a long set of posts. But it likely won't last very long. And Tacx is not offering any help or support. So, if your license code is already used and was not deactivated, not sure what you can do unless you did a backup of the small license file as suggested by Alex. In addition, if you have a bunch of coded Tacx videos that were tied to this license, you would have problems with these unless you can find that old tts4.lic file.

Here is a screenshot on TDA subscription rates:
Screenshot_2020-01-19 Pricing Software and apps Tacx Indoor cycling software(2).png
Screenshot_2020-01-19 Pricing Software and apps Tacx Indoor cycling software(2).png (84.27 KiB) Viewed 38985 times
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
ATENEA
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
Location: In the mountains @ 5,000' when not by the sea in Mallorca or France
USER_FLAG: Spain

Here is what TACX used to suggest:

Reset Tacx Trainer software 4 license

Step 1
Unhide hidden folders
Reset Tacx Trainer software license when the activation was not done correctly,
Windows 7
Start Windows explorer
Go to ORGANISE (left top side)
Go to FOLDER AND SEARCH OPTIONS
Select tab: VIEW
Then select: show hidden folders or unhide hidden folders
For Windows 8
Start Windows explorer
Go to view
Select the option: hidden folders (checkmark)
Now the folder C:\programData will be shown in your directory

Step 2
Replace the security files
Now go to
C:\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\tts4.lic and remove this file (or the tts4b.lic)
Attached to the e-mail you will find 2 files (tts4b.lic and TTS4.lic)
FILES ARE ATTACHED AS ZIP
Put these files at

Step 3
Reset the software
Then remove these 2 files:
C:\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\settings\data.index
C:\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\settings\settings.tts
Now you can activate again, using the original key (that we might have re-opened), or you received a new key from Tacx. We really advise you to have your trainer connected to internet so no mistakes are made (online activation).
Reset Tacx Trainer software 4 license
Attachments
tts4.zip
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
Tacx Genius (non-smart), Tacx Bushido, Tacx Neo 2T
Garmin Edge 1000, Garmin Fenix 6S Pro
Windows 10
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Atenea-

A couple of us have suggested this, but in order to work, you must have the old tts4.lic license file that contains the encrypted TTS authentication information. If that file has been lost, you are probably out of luck because the original key will likely not been accepted by the authentication server. The server will reject that key because it will have a record that this key has already been used.
Michael Corn
ATENEA
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:42 pm Atenea-

A couple of us have suggested this, but in order to work, you must have the old tts4.lic license file that contains the encrypted TTS authentication information. If that file has been lost, you are probably out of luck because the original key will likely not been accepted by the authentication server. The server will reject that key because it will have a record that this key has already been used.
I suggest you try with the "license files" that is in the ".zip" attachment to my message.
Windows 10
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

ATENEA wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 pm I suggest you try with the "license files" that is in the ".zip" attachment to my message.
My system is working, so I don't have a problem. But I would be interested in knowing if this has worked for you. I had the impression that in order for this to work, someone at Tacx would have to manually clear the previously used code from its server. Please see this sentence from your communication above:

"Now you can activate again, using the original key (that we might have re-opened), or you received a new key from Tacx"

So, I would appreciate a confirmation that this simple fix has worked for you. That sentence suggests otherwise.
Michael Corn
ATENEA
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:52 pm
My system is working, so I don't have a problem. But I would be interested in knowing if this has worked for you. I had the impression that in order for this to work, someone at Tacx would have to manually clear the previously used code from its server. Please see this sentence from your communication above:

"Now you can activate again, using the original key (that we might have re-opened), or you received a new key from Tacx"

So, I would appreciate a confirmation that this simple fix has worked for you. That sentence suggests otherwise.
The last time I used the method suggested, it worked. However, I have not tried it recently, and thus cannot confirm that it works in 2020.
Windows 10
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

ATENEA wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:02 am The last time I used the method suggested, it worked.
In my opinion, this method is almost equivalent to reinstalling with deleting the folder:
C:\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike
USER_FLAG: Belgium

Im fairly unhappy about the situation, I wish they could leave the server turned on even if they did not support for it Im sure customers of the old software could have worked out solutions. Anyway the replacement TDA is I think a massively better program & deal for riding video. The quality is higher & you instant access now if you have bandwidth enough to stream to what would cost many $1000s in TTS4 for 100x less if your only going to ride a month or two inside. The Apps are now also in a slimmed-down form available on smart phone & tablet, the same instant access to the whole collection. So if you have a smart phone or Tablet or PC just install the apps for free & find out if you like what you see...it will take you just seconds to find out.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

ATENEA wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:02 am
The last time I used the method suggested, it worked. However, I have not tried it recently, and thus cannot confirm that it works in 2020.
Just not sure how it could work without help from Tacx support either doing a reset on the license server or sending you a new code. Otherwise, this would be a huge loophole in the license authentication system. It would allow people to freely transfer licenses to others.
Michael Corn
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

mcorn wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:54 pm Just not sure how it could work without help from Tacx support either doing a reset on the license server or sending you a new code. Otherwise, this would be a huge loophole in the license authentication system. It would allow people to freely transfer licenses to others.
Where is the loophole here? Activation takes place on the same and only computer.
A loophole in another (I will not describe it). But this loophole (rumored) is limited by the following. One and the same advanced license cannot be activated on more than four computers for all the time, and a basic license cannot be activated on more than two computers.
ATENEA
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:54 pm Just not sure how it could work without help from Tacx support either doing a reset on the license server or sending you a new code. Otherwise, this would be a huge loophole in the license authentication system. It would allow people to freely transfer licenses to others.
I was so unimpressed by the Tacx TTS4 software that I wrote a long personal letter to Peter Tacx in December 2014. I made several suggestions on how to improve it
I explained some of the flaws in the software at that time. What you mention ("this would be a huge loophole in the license authentication system") is/was perfectly possible!
Windows 10
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

BerthaVision wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:25 am So if you have a smart phone or Tablet or PC just install the apps for free & find out if you like what you see...it will take you just seconds to find out.
Exactly. It takes less than a minute to download and install TDA on W10 and a couple minutes to create a cloud account if you don't already have one. Very simple. The Windows TDA file is only about 100MB. You can play with it for free and if you don't like it, it takes a few seconds to remove. You can download up to 30 videos a month (downloaded videos tend to work better than streaming and downloads only have to be done once). You can place downloaded videos on a separate drive and link to it. The only authentication is having a current subscription, which gives you access to more videos than you are likely to ever use. TDA takes about 10 seconds to open, almost all of which is linking to your cloud account. It closes instantly. Data is hardly ever lost.

The TTS4.23 installation that I recently did involves a 5 GB install file (I know some of it is VR, but the non-VR is still large) with a huge number of embedded updates. It takes about 20 minutes to run the installer, not counting RLV installations and code authentications which can take a long time. TTS4 takes a full minute to open and a minute to close and I hold my breath each time to see if it will crash or corrupt vital files.
Michael Corn
hb99
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Many thanks for the various responses. I have been away and just got back to try and sort things out.
I cannot find any of the old files - it appears that my entire Windows.old folder is hidden and I am loathe to play around with C:\ settings as my technical skills are very limited.
I can no longer find the site from which I previously tried to re-download TTS4.
I still have received no response from TACX/Garmin. The last post on the Twitter account is over a year old, so it looks like they have abandoned any meaningful support for pesky customers. Maybe paying a subscription will change this??
I will abandon TTS4, which sadly means the loss of all the training records I had, which included heart rate tracking which I had been using for recovery from cardiac challenges.
Out of interest, I found this page https://support.garmin.com/en-NZ/?faq=R ... iwU7zSFOb6 which states "TTS4 is not compatible with Windows 10", which is a lie as that is the ony OS I used with TTS4!
I will check out TDA when I come inside from our wonderful Kiwi summer cycling conditions :D
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

hb99 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:44 am The last post on the Twitter account is over a year old
https://twitter.com/TacxSupport/with_replies
hb99 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:44 am my technical skills are very limited.
I will abandon TTS4
In your case, the second flows out of the first, unfortunately.
Try to at least return to this point:
hb99 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:03 am forcing me to restore form a previous save point.
there is no sign of the program now that the laptop is back to life.
Let's take a look at the logs:
C:\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Logs
The fastest access to this folder: copy here the path to it and paste it in the address bar of Explorer or browser.
hb99
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thanks Alex,
I have made some progress :D
The Twitter account is a strange way to get support. Finding things amongst meassages for everyone can be challenging. What happened to good old email!
In terms of the files, the only folder I have under C:\ProgramData\Tacx\ is DownloadManager, then Logs which is from when I downloaded TDA. I do not believe I would have used anything other than the default file path on my original install.
I have managed to "unhide" all the files and folders in the Windows.old folder and under C:\Windows.old\Users\hbake\AppData\Roaming there are TTS4Download and TTS4 WebInstaller folders. In C:\Windows.old\Users\hbake\AppData\Roaming\TTS4Download\TTS42100 there is setup, which installed various pre-requisites and TTS4- yeha!! It took maybe 5 minutes to fill the instal "bar" then it sat there for another 10 minutes spinning wheels before completing.
On opening TTS4 I entered my original licence code and this was accepted :D
However, on trying to download my user details, I got "An error occured while downloading the user profile". I had made a note of the original convoluted password, which I don't believe I changed and there is no option to reset the password. Any suggestions, or is this one for the Twitter support team?
On connecting to my Neo, there was a "Calibration error" for the power meter and the whole TTS window disappeared for a while and then reappeared - weird.
I set up a new user to check that it is all working and it looks OK.
So subject to the user download it appears you CAN reinstall using the original licence code as long as you have the files somewhere.
Thanks again
Howard
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

hb99 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:08 am However, on trying to download my user details, I got "An error occured while downloading the user profile". I had made a note of the original convoluted password, which I don't believe I changed and there is no option to reset the password. Any suggestions, or is this one for the Twitter support team?
I guess the point is not the password. Downloading a profile is no longer possible, because Tacx has disabled some of the online functions for the TTS4.
hb99 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:08 am So subject to the user download it appears you CAN reinstall using the original licence code as long as you have the files somewhere.
You concluded in a somewhat strange formulation for me. But in any case, I recommend that you now, after successful activation of the license, keep a backup copy of this file:
or even this entire TTS4 folder. It is very important!
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

It seems to me dawned what kind of problem the topic starter had:
hb99 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:03 am there is no sign of the program now that the laptop is back to life. I tried to reinstall TTS4, but found the problem of not being able to get my licence code accepted.
The user returned the computer to a state in which the TTS4 was missing. He then tried to install the TTS4 using the web installer, which is still available here:
http://tacxdata.com/files/support/TTS4WebInstaller.exe
http://d3j7h6udagdmxv.cloudfront.net/TT ... taller.exe
When starting the web installer, a license code is immediately requested, but its verification in this installer is no longer possible due to the shutdown of some online functions.

The user solved his problem by finding the installation files from the folder with the old version of Windows. The same thing could be done simply by downloading the full installer, while it is still available:
http://tacx.com/support/TTS42300.zip
http://tacxdata.com/TTS/TTS42300.zip
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

hb99 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:08 am The Twitter account is a strange way to get support. Finding things amongst meassages for everyone can be challenging. What happened to good old email!
After visiting the Garmin support page, I note a wizard like interface that allows you to open a support ticket with Garmin/Tacx. Furthermore, after visiting the Tacx support contact page, I note a telephone number, Facebook, Twitter, and an email address ([url]mailto:support@tacx.com[/url]) for contacting Tacx support
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I've had no trouble contacting Garmin Support through the support page, but I have not attempted to get advice on TTS issues. My guess is that most support staff are neither trained nor expecting to provide advice on TTS problems. They have made it clear this is unsupported legacy software. That is typically the consequence of software moving into that classification.
Michael Corn
hb99
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Regarding contact options, this appears to depend very much on the country you are in.
After emailing them on 6th January, I finally got a response today - 24 days later.
I will follow up using the email I received to see if I can resolve the user download problem.
From everything in the lengthy email response, it is very clear they want nothing to do with TTS4 and get me to spend more money to use TDA.
If anyone knows where the records of individual rides are held, - help please! I am recovering from heart issues and being able to track sessions against old rides has been very helpful, so I hope these have not been lost.
There is a large (4.3Gb) cabinet file called data2 in the back up version at C:\Windows.old\Users\hbake\AppData\Roaming\TTS4Download\TTS42100 Is this likely to hold the details? There is a much smaller (8Mb) data1 cabinet file as well. I can't open these.
Thanks again for the ongoing help and interest.
ATENEA
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

hb99 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 am If anyone knows where the records of individual rides are held, - help please! I am recovering from heart issues and being able to track sessions against old rides has been very helpful, so I hope these have not been lost.
In TTS4, the "Analyser" menu/function (under the "Other Options" tab, possibly) will bring up all your past rides; you can then identify each and export using the "Import/Export" tab/menu/function. You can also compare similar rides and, for each comparaison, get the "vital statistics" (Time, speed, cadence, power, HRM, ....).
Windows 10
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

hb99 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 am If anyone knows where the records of individual rides are held, - help please! I am recovering from heart issues and being able to track sessions against old rides has been very helpful, so I hope these have not been lost.
There is a large (4.3Gb) cabinet file called data2 in the back up version at C:\Windows.old\Users\hbake\AppData\Roaming\TTS4Download\TTS42100 Is this likely to hold the details?
These are installer files, there are no your personal rides there.

See if you have such folders:
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\Catalyst\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\Ergo\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\RLT\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\RLV\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\Tests\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\VR\Runs
hb99 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 am From everything in the lengthy email response, it is very clear they want nothing to do with TTS4 and get me to spend more money to use TDA.
Please quote it here. Why is the response so "lengthy"?
hb99
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

ATENEA wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:45 am
In TTS4, the "Analyser" menu/function (under the "Other Options" tab, possibly) will bring up all your past rides; you can then identify each and export using the "Import/Export" tab/menu/function. You can also compare similar rides and, for each comparaison, get the "vital statistics" (Time, speed, cadence, power, HRM, ....).
As per my earlier post I can't get my original user profile loaded, so can't access the rides stored against that. I had no problems finding the data before my PC crashed - although the location is far from obvious!
Last edited by hb99 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hb99
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Hi Alex,
I don't have a Program Data folder anywhere and could not find one called Trainings either. The only Tacx files seem to be in the download and installer folders. I have asked Tacx for help - is it possible the rides were being stored on one of the now decommissioned servers? I am assuming the user profile details were, which is probably why I can't download that.
Thanks
Howard
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

Every Windows 10 system has ProgramData - often hidden though.
  • Press "Windows Key" + R
  • Type: %ProgramData%
  • Press Return
Voila PrograData folder opens
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
hb99
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thanks for that - I now have the Program Data file, but this has been created by the reinstall and is dated last week. All the Run folders are empty as I have done no rides since the install. Is it possible this data is not kept in a save point?

This is the response from Tacx to my query about the inability to download my original user profile. When they say support withdrawn they mean it!:
Thank you for your email.
We are sorry to tell you but as mentioned in our latest email we do not answer anymore questions regarding the Tacx Trainer Software.
This is because we have stopped supporting this.
I can only guide you to our information video's:
Tacx Trainer Software 4 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... t7nCYohmA7
TTS4 and TDA are complete different programs so data that is on TTS can't be transfered to TDA.
We can only look with your for the possibilities in the new application.
Especially with a NEO trainer we would defintely recommend to use TDA instead of TTS.
But as mentioned with the TTS questions we can't assist.
If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.

Can anyone help regarding the user profile download? Now that I have TTS4 installed again I can't see any way to add a different user anyway, so wonder if the download can only be done during initial set up? I am guessing all my historic data has been lost.

Thanks again for all the help
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

hb99 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 pm
Can anyone help regarding the user profile download? Now that I have TTS4 installed again I can't see any way to add a different user anyway, so wonder if the download can only be done during initial set up? I am guessing all my historic data has been lost.

Thanks again for all the help
I think there are 2 user profiles. There was one associated with your Tacx Bikenet account. That is completely gone. But there is also the local user profile you set up when you install TTS. If you no longer have the program data files with your prior TTS4 installation in Windows 7, there is no place to retrieve that from. If that was not located in your old W7 files then it is gone as well. You simply need to create a new user profile in your current TTS4 install.

I believe that your previous ride data was not part of your user profile. It is part of the training folders in program data as well, but it is not part of the user profile. And it sounds like all of that is gone as well.

P.S. Gone means gone. That is why data must be backed up in order to recovered in the event something bad happens.
Michael Corn
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

hb99 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 pm Thanks for that - I now have the Program Data file, but this has been created by the reinstall and is dated last week. All the Run folders are empty as I have done no rides since the install. Is it possible this data is not kept in a save point?
Finally, make an effort on yourself and look at these folders:

C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\Catalyst\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\Ergo\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\RLT\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\RLV\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\Tests\Runs
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Trainings\VR\Runs

The fastest access to this folders: copy here the path to it and paste it in the address bar of Explorer or browser.

Your previous profile is here:
C:\Windows.old\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Settings\players.tts