Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Austria

I managed to get TDA running.
First video rides yesterday and today.

2 things I found which seem to be strange:

1) on downhill sections my NEO comes to speed itself (ok), but as soon as I stop pedalling and Watts go to 0 the pause screen pops up - although it is downhill. With TTs I could stop pedalling without get a pause.
That means - apparently I cannot have a brake pedalling! Really?

2) If I reduce the streght of climbs (PdDown) let‘s say to 50%: in TTs pedalling got easier and speed rised.
In TDA pedalling gets easier but the same amount speed reduces. At the end it is the same effort with 100 or 50%, because I need double the time for the distance. That‘s strange.

May I ask if this is common or can I do some settings?

Thank you, Andy
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

On #1, my Neo2T does not behave the same as yours in TDA. Mine keeps rolling if I am on a download (frankly, I wish it would stop if I have stopped pedaling).

On #2, the effort reduction function in TDA is different than with TTS. In TTS, the power setting actually changed the course by reducing the slope of the rides, which made it easier. In TDA, the difficulty setting is like an electronic gear. It makes it easier to pedal, but you still have to climb the same number of vertical feet. You just do it in a lower gear. There was a fair amount of discussion among testers on this issue, but at the end of the day, the approach used in TDA was done in order to preserve the authenticity of the ride.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thanks for your responses! :thumbsup:
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Since I‘ve got more familiar with the software, I managed to connect trainer and HR via bluetooth now.
I think, the problem I had with BT connection on first stage was, I had pressed „connect“ but did not „end searching“ before.

Ok, now the system runs via BT and the NEO does not stop on downhills anymore.
Just to be sure, I testet ANT+ one more time, but then the NEO stops at downhills if Watts become zero!
Apparently this is a bug - at least in my configuration...

So, thanks once again for your help!

PS:
I know it is a bad habit to post twice, but since it affects both of my posts, I made an exception. 😉
TomND
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I am having an interesting result on the difficulty setting issue. When I use the Tacx Training App on my iPad, I get the result mcorn described. In the iPad settings, the setting is "Slope Modifier" and it goes from 0 to 100%. I rode Alpe d'Huez with the setting on 50%. I used a higher (easier) gear than I would use in real life, but the speed in that gear at my normal cadence was slower (1/2?) and I still had to climb the whole thing. Total energy required is the same regardless of the setting.

With the Tacx Desktop App on my MacBook Pro, the setting is "Difficulty" and goes from 0 to 200%. Yesterday, I set it on 0% and rode Alpe d'Huez. To my surprise, it leveled the slope to 0% and I blasted up it at 20 mph. Pretty exhilerating blowing past the riders in the video. I felt like Floyd Landis. This is similar to the "Power Mode" setting in TTS. Correspondingly, I tried the 0% setting on a steep descent and that also was flattened to a 20 mph ride. On the iPad app, the same setting would have you turning a gear less than 50/11 but you would still be getting 35+ mph speeds.

Does the Windows desktop app work differently than the Mac desktop app for this feature? I have to be honest, I like the MacOS desktop app method. The Tacx films seem to be oriented toward hard long climbs and reducing the slope, without reducing the speed attainable at that reduced slope, allows me to enjoy the scenery on those long climbs in a reasonable time for me. I just set the difficulty (slope) to the number that allows me to ride the course in the time I want to spend.

Are others experiencing the same difference between the tablet vs the computer versions?
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

In Windows TDA, the Difficulty setting is not like the Power Mode in TTS. In Windows TDA, the difficulty setting is like an electronic gear. You still have to climb the same amount, it is just easier because it is in a lower gear. Power Mode in TTS actually modified the slope on the rides. I was not aware that the function was different in the Mac version of TDA. Honestly, I would be very surprised if they were different as I had never heard that before. When this function was being developed in TDA, there was a lot of discussion about using the TTS model, but at the end of the day that was rejected in order to preserve the authenticity of the ride.

I just did a short test on my office desktop PC where I have TDA installed with no bike connected. I ran it twice in Demo mode at 150 watts on an 8% uphill grade. I ran one at 50% difficulty and the other at 150% difficulty and both times the bike went up the grade at the same speed, which is what you would expect if there is no change in the actual grade and the wattage is the same. Of course, this was not done with a bike, so it is possible that something else is happening in Demo mode, but I don't think so.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA