Strange behavior of pause kicking in

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Austria

Using Tacx NEO (first generation):
With TTS4 pause kicked in when speed came to zero. That‘s what I call normal.

With TDA there is a strange behaviour:
If you stop pedalling and power and cadence come to zero, pause kicks in in various forms - but always before speed comes to zero.
In most cases (when power and cadence = 0) the pause screen kicks in when/if speed comes lower than 20 km/h.
I have ridden some films so far and found out, for the most films you have to keep over 20 km/h to avoid pause screen (if not pedalling).
For example film: „England - Lake district Wasdale Tour Stage 1“ - and most of others...

But there are some films where you can stop pedalling and pause will not kick in at 20 km/h but at much lower speeds (but before speed comes to zero). Such a film is: „Sanremo cycleway Cycletour“.
That sounds strange - what is the relationship between videos and software?
But I have tested it several times.

Why doesn't the pause generally kick in when the speed becomes zero? (Like it was with TTS4)
thebigoneinfront
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Germany

I‘m slooooooowly getting back to a little bit of training on the Neo, first generation too. I wondered about Pause kicking in on my last ride instead of powered downhills, too. The differences to earlier rides were the video (new Aube valley, ridden for the first time) and connecting an external cadence sensor (Wahoo). I have always connected everything by Bluetooth.

Can you correlate the effect with the source of cadence data? (Not sure when I can repeat that RLV with no external cadence sensor.)
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Yes I can 😉
I tested a Garmin cadence sensor 2.gen via bluetooth because if I use the NEO built in I always have peaks of about 200 rpm durind downhills when not pedalling.
But I could not use the external Garmin cadence sensor because pause kicks in when cadence goes zero - although speed was over 30 km/h or more. So, I went back to the built in NEO cadence sensor and am happy that pause kicks in only when the speed is below 20 km/h - which is also not correct.
thebigoneinfront
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I did a shorter ride yesterday (Ciclabile Dolomiti) and used the Neo’s cadence signal. No pause when motoring downhill! This RLV is quite nice for this test because the downhill is partly steep enough for motoring downhill and partly requires you to pedal. The upper part of ths downhill is gravel and I still have the road feel active (I really need to remember turning it off some time). I noted that cadence was ok while I actually pedalled, but cadence went up to >> 150 when I stopped pedalling. Non-pedalling cadence went to 0 immediately, however, when the surface changed to tarmac and the road feel rattling stopped. I only had some occasional cadence spikes later.

Lesson learned: The Neo’s cadence detection system picks up road feel rattling if you don‘t pedal.

I never saw that unwanted pause below 20 km/h. Even if I‘m slower, but the downhill gradient is steep enough, the motor will accelerate. Maybe the software believes you would also stop in real life on this gradient when not pedalling? This should depend on weight - I‘m heavy, so it‘s entirely possible the software moves me downhill on gradients where it puts lighter folks on Pause.
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I never saw that unwanted pause below 20 km/h.

Strange... but as I wrote, it seems to depend on movie. Mostly it kicks in at 20, sometimes it kicks in at 5 km/h. But never waits to stillstand.

Roadfeeling: I have turned off generally. Do you think, it influences pause?

Edit:
I‘ve rode the „Dolomiti“ video already - for me it is the same - pause kicks in before speed goes zero.
(I‘m 75 kg - maybe I raise for testing purpose... What‘s your value?)
thebigoneinfront
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I don't think RadoFeel influcences pausing, I suspected that the high cadence at zero watts I had when motoring downhill on the gravel avoided pausing, but then on tarmac both cadence and watts were zero and the Neo continued motoring as I was used to in the past.

I'm 107 kg. That nick's got a reason .. I'm sent forward in any headwind...
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thx 👍
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

mcinner1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:00 pm Yes I can 😉
I tested a Garmin cadence sensor 2.gen via bluetooth because if I use the NEO built in I always have peaks of about 200 rpm durind downhills when not pedalling.
But I could not use the external Garmin cadence sensor because pause kicks in when cadence goes zero - although speed was over 30 km/h or more. So, I went back to the built in NEO cadence sensor and am happy that pause kicks in only when the speed is below 20 km/h - which is also not correct.
A few potential issues. First, I think the cadence sensor on the older Neo is different than the current Neo2T, which I believe has fewer issues. Second, some of the newer cadence sensors like the one sold by Garmin are dual channel. I had some problems with odd spikes using it with a Flux 2 Smart. Finally, do not stop pedaling on a downhill. Just turn it over ever second or two.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
thebigoneinfront
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:06 am the cadence sensor on the older Neo is different than the current Neo2T
The original Neo doesn‘t have a cadence sensor. It determines cadence by power fluctuations across the pedalling revolutions. Just as the Genius did. That’s why I think the Neo’s cadence system picks up Road Feel rattling - that theory would be daft if the Neo had a real cadence sensor. The Neo 2 was the first one with a cadence sensor.
mcorn wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:06 am Just turn it over ever second or two.
That worked to stave off pausing on the Genius for me, at least in later firmware versions, but it didn‘t on the Neo. My impression so far is that the Neo is worse than the Genius in detecting cadence with very low power input.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I did not like the Genius (and Vortex) cadence sensing for the reasons you mention, which is why I put separate cadence sensors on the trainer.
Michael Corn
dobermann70
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Italy

Hi guys, am new here and thanks for accepting me.
I have a Flux 2 and today I tested it with the mobile app Tacx.
Every 1-2 minutes pause was kicking in and was not able to resume.
Had to close app, resume workout and loop this several times.
Any advice or idea?
Thanks
A
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

dobermann70 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:45 pm Hi guys, am new here and thanks for accepting me.
I have a Flux 2 and today I tested it with the mobile app Tacx.
Every 1-2 minutes pause was kicking in and was not able to resume.
Had to close app, resume workout and loop this several times.
Any advice or idea?
Thanks
A
Have you checked to be sure you have the latest firmware?

If you do, then I would contact Garmin/Tacx support and describe the problem.

I would also test it with the Tacx Desktop App (TDA) to see if you have the same problem. You can download and test using TDA even if you do not buy a full subscription.
Michael Corn
dobermann70
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:29 am
dobermann70 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:45 pm
Have you checked to be sure you have the latest firmware?

If you do, then I would contact Garmin/Tacx support and describe the problem.

I would also test it with the Tacx Desktop App (TDA) to see if you have the same problem. You can download and test using TDA even if you do not buy a full subscription.
Thanks Michael,
I'm planning to test with TDA asap hope it will solve it.
Also might be that the EDGE was connected too creating some kind of conflict.
Even though the EDGE never lost connection.
Keep you posted.
A
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

dobermann70 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:40 am
Not sure which model Edge you have, but there could be problem if you are attempting a simultaneous Bluetooth connection between the trainer and your Edge. I have an older Edge computer that works only on ANT+. I can connect it to my Tacx Neo2T trainer using ANT+ while connecting the trainer to the PC using Bluetooth.
Michael Corn
dobermann70
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:08 pm
dobermann70 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:40 am
Not sure which model Edge you have, but there could be problem if you are attempting a simultaneous Bluetooth connection between the trainer and your Edge. I have an older Edge computer that works only on ANT+. I can connect it to my Tacx Neo2T trainer using ANT+ while connecting the trainer to the PC using Bluetooth.
Thanks Mc,
that was the reason!!!
tested it with just mobile app connected and everything worked perfectly.
Incredible how smooth an silent the Flux 2 is!
A