Additional Newbie Quesitons

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

fgaston
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I"m grateful to have found this forum. New owner of 2018 Neo and have some questions:
-I'm confused what software I've downloaded on my iPhone. Says Tacx 4.12. Is this TDA for iOS or TTS?
-Does FTP have any bearing on baseline resistance difficulty, or just setting called Grade Modifier?
-I don't understand Grade Modifier setting and can't find any manual or explanation. All I know is if it's set at 100%, it seems ridiculously hard.
-I'm enjoying realism of Tacx application, but want to ride privately with a friend. Only possible in Zwift?
-Do any Wahoo Kickr owners ride with Tacx or is it specific to Tacx devices?

Many thanks, Fred
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I won't go through all your questions, but you are no doubt using the Tacx Training App, an app for Apple and Android mobile devices.

The major Tacx software program is the Tacx Desktop App (TDA), which is available for both Windows and the Mac.

Probably the best way to learn about features of both of these programs is to play with them for awhile and do searches on "Tacx Training App" and "Tacx Desktop App". Here is one link to a video on the training app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMAbIK4sP0s&vl=en
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
fgaston
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thanks. I've done exhaustive searches online regarding my questions, particularly the settings, but have come up with nothing. Lowering grade modifier setting did seem to make grades a bit easier but overall the resistance on the Neo on flat feels comparatively harder than riding outside. Also, calorie burn seems much lower than what Garmin/Strava calculate for same amount of expended effort. Just thought others may have experienced the same things or had similar questions. Fred
Barking
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Hi,
its quite hard to find a definite list of everything the apps do and how they do it but the grade modifier is there to make the rides easier or harder, 100% being the default setting. Hence, if it says that youre riding a 5% gradient and the modifier is at 100% then youre riding at its true value, setting it at 20% would give you an adjusted resistance of a 1% gradient, 200% a 10% gradient etc etc. Bear in mind it adjusts downhills as well as up. It works on workouts as well as films. I find it a useful feature if I want to do a recovery ride somewhere other than the flat rides available or if I want to ramp up the resistance for training. I agree that it feels harder than the road, I assume because there is a limit to what the software can replicate. On the road you have the vagaries of the road surface, topography, slowing for junctions etc, all of which give you mini break periods. Riding the trainer there is just a constant resistance, a bit like the track, so its harder. I do find that it improves my road riding though.
fgaston
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Many thanks-very helpful! Do you use Tacx exclusively or Zwift as well? I've been very impressed with the realism and quality of the films, as well as the interface, in Tacx, but would like to try Zwift to ride with a friend that has a Kickr. Any comparisons would be helpful. Thx
Barking
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Never used Zwift, I find that TDA is everything I want. Plus I'm ginger, therefore I have no friends. A friend of mine had it for 18 months before moving on to Fulgaz ( he has a Kickr so can't use TDA) but Zwift is certainly popular. I forgot to mention that if you use the gradient adjuster it seems to bugger about with speed, and therefore time over distance, unless its just me. It doesnt affect me as I use it mainly to modify the workouts, but it takes a bit of getting used to. Someone else on here will probably explain it better than me.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Here is my description of the effect of changing the Difficulty Setting in TDA (not in the Tacx Training App):

https://www.lunicus.org/Forum/viewtopic ... 2851#p2851
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA