Vestibular Dizziness (Sea Sick) w/ newer films

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

Ian Oliver
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: United States of America

On some of the newer rides I'm experiencing some irritating and sometimes severe dizziness. It's similar to seasickness but the opposite - I'm stationary but what my eyes make me think I'm doing is moving. While on a boat you can stare at the horizon to bring get things matched up again, I can't make myself move in the same way that the camera is to get things matched up on TACX.

The worst so far is Amalfi Coast. I can't ride it.

Second worst is Vosges Railway. Some minor dizziness along the route but the idiot gates cause extreme dizziness. I'll not be able to ride it again.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Have done both of those more than once, but have not experienced the effect you describe. However, I have not done so since the recent KB5001330 W10 update that is causing problems for some users with video playback, so I will try them again.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike
USER_FLAG: Belgium

Amalfi Coast was filmed back in 2016 its not so new, you just suffer with motion sickness a bit, the lean into the corners is fairly popular so I don't think we will take it away, but we are going this year with a wider angle of view & the lean should be a little less pronounced, the wider view will help you see where your heading better which should help with any unwanted feelings. There are about 100 older films in the collection filmed from a car, you could also look for rides that seem to take few tight bends like next to the lakes etc. Tacx will also start filming content outside the EU in the old car mounted way but with a good camera. Im getting this kit ready here right now & Taiwan is the first location...hopefully we should be getting content from the US etc also
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

We just did about 10 miles near the end of the Amalfi Coast ride. It is quite jiggly, although I had not recalled that from before. A few of my observations to add to Phil's (who is the real expert):

1. This is a very curvy course and in certain portions of the ride there is a lot of stop and go traffic, which contributes to the effect and creates a lot of framerate mismatches.

2. To me, the framerate does not seem to be a good match for any of the higher speeds achieved while going downhill and this makes things jerky. You can see this effect by how fast bikes and cars coming from the opposite direction are moving while you are going over 20 mph/32kmh. So, with the framerate not matching on downhills, smoothness is lost.

3. It is not clear to me if the camera had high quality video stabilization. I know Phil is constantly improving the camera and mount hardware. 2016 is pretty dated by his standards.
Michael Corn
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

I do suffer motion sickness/headaches when playing X Box games and long distance travelling in the back of cars/ buses.
However i have never had this motion sickness riding RLV including Amalfi Coast and Vosges Railway that i have completed many times in the past.
The animated graphics of the Veloton software also does not cause any motion sickness.
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

We did the Vosges Railway Recovery today and did not notice any playback issues. As Phil says, the gates are kind of funky and the ride does have many wooden fences alongside the trail that provide some visual repetition, but it all seems fine to me. We do use the Windows version of TDA. I don't know if Ian is using the Mac version and whether it could be different.
Michael Corn
J.Veerhoek
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Netherlands

My experience is that it helps me to look into the corner the camera is turning to.
So at a right turn I look to the right side of the screen and when turning left looking to the left ofcourse.
This gives you better immersion as well but might not be helpful enough at turning through the gates.....
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike

We just did our first film of the year last Wednesday (130km onlong some Ardennes rivers) with another fairly big upgrade to Bertha & I think we have corner based motion sickness solved. At least the lean is less & you can now see where your going into the corner a lot better as we now have a much wider FOV. Stability is massively improved also so you glide along much smoother rather then see more movement from where we are meandering along. Its probably a small improvement & I suspect most never notice such, but for me its quite a leap ahead. It means we can film with a full sized cinema camera with a wonderful big heavy full frame cini lens, have full artistic control & its just super smooth. The other improvement that's kind of hidden but helps us is the logistics are also much better.
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

I've not experienced the motion sickness using TDA, though I do get it a lot with VR and even going backwards on the train or bus). Not sure if this helps, but perhaps being further back from your screen so you have a peripheral focus point?
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike

Here is a frame grab from the new wider FOV lens we are using for 2021, we have some rides from this now going into beta, I think it really helps, we now have about 40% more vision or 20% extra looking into a corner, its also much more stable.