TDA cannot connect to anything and crashes

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

Garynoble
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Fired up the desktop app as usual - go to devices and app crashes
I only connect using ant+ so turned Bluetooth off after numerous attempts - go to devices and the app does not crash but display is corrupt - hit search and nothing happens
Repaired app- same problem
Reset app - same problem
Uninstalled and reinstalled- same problem

Is this a result of recent updat as the app is now completely useless ??
Martin
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Netherlands

That's frustrating. Checking the "About" link in the app i can see the latest update is from 17-May-2021. Just did a ride on my Vortex and via Bluetooth no problems.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

1.21.1.0 update was released on May 17.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Garynoble
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Downloaded app onto 2 pcs both crash using ant+ antenna when clicking on devices to connect turbo etc

The update needs fixing
blobbo
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Got the same problem myself. From previously perfectly working to not over last couple days. TDA crashed when open the tab. When I start a workout or film, power all over the place. Tried uninstalling etc, no joy.
In contact with Garmin support chat, not much help there.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I just did a quick test with both BT and ANT+ antennas connected and this version crashed back to the desktop as soon as I went to the Device page. So, it looks like a significant bug that needs correcting. In the meantime, Garmin Tacx should pull this update from public distribution. I'm pretty confident this is a relatively easy fix.
Michael Corn
eryanqui
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I found this forum thanks to the latest TDA update, and appreciate that my misery is not without company.

TDA crashes whenever I go to device settings (unless my ANT+ usb antenna is unplugged) as well.

While this is annoying, I have figured out how to get everything to connect as needed. However, for some reason, since the vile update the ERG sensitivity is completely messed up, rendering wattage-based training impossible. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue as well.

I've temporarily transitioned to using the GoldenCheetah trainer view. Here's hoping an update occurs that unfixes these fixes!
J.Veerhoek
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

New update from TDA yesterday.
Device manager reverted to previous type display.
Did not test anything yet so canoot report on fixes.
Update did not happen automatically, had to push the store so better check for latest version before you test.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Yes, I see the latest update is Windows version 1.21.2.0 dated May 26, 2021. I have not quite figured out the update system. Sometimes it auto-updates and sometimes I have to go to the Microsoft Store. And often when I go to the Microsoft Store, it first indicates I have the latest version, but then it starts auto-downloading and updating. That's what it did this time.

I have not tested this one yet.
Michael Corn
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

mcorn wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:13 pm Yes, I see the latest update is Windows version 1.21.2.0 dated May 26, 2021. I have not quite figured out the update system. Sometimes it auto-updates and sometimes I have to go to the Microsoft Store. And often when I go to the Microsoft Store, it first indicates I have the latest version, but then it starts auto-downloading and updating. That's what it did this time.

I have not tested this one yet.
1.21.2.0 auto-installed on the PC I use for riding. I did a very brief test with both ANT+ and BT transmitters simultaneously on. There was no crash when I went to the Device Manager page. I assume that this new update is a rollback to the version prior to 1.21.1.0.
Michael Corn
J.Veerhoek
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Michael, you are correct in not crashing but still had the erratic powercontrol via BT introduced with (pre)latest version.
This afternoon I will test on ANT+
J.Veerhoek
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Yesterday I tested a FTP-workout on ANT+ but when my interval blocks are starting the same erratic power behaviour.
Almost certain that power readings are OK but software does not or wrongly change resistance to reach required power values.
This results in having to change gears to reach required power values.
Sometimes this works but also regularly this situation is not stable and resistance slowly(takes/lasts many minutes) changes up or down, even so much that I cannot correct with available gears to reach required power level.

Since it looks like it affects only powercontrol(output to my Neo2t resistance) and not powermeasurements(input from my Neo2t power) from TDA probably only FTP-based and Power workouts won't work, riding Slope or Film no issues I guess.
Riding on ANT+ or BT made no difference.

Shame that something that did work very well is unuseable after softwareupdate, even after the quick fix.
So looks like the latest quick fix was only focussed on BT/ANT+ connection issues.

For me software in this state is not worth paying for! Hope they soon will fix it and leave it in a working state.
blobbo
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Like others, following the recent update, the program does not crash upon opening the devices tab.
However, i can connect via bluetooth, but power readings are all erratic, and program keeps asking for more power, but I know I am well wishing correct output.
Also, I can't seem to connect at all with ANT+.
So pretty useless on TDA.
My NEO will connect no problem with Rouvy, both BT and ANT+, and the wattages seem stable and correct.
Last edited by blobbo on Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
biggsy
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I've raised a bug report with Garmin regarding the erratic behaviour of the resistance control when performing an FTP workout.

I've tried both ANT+ and Bluetooth connections and get the same result in each case: Resistance initially way too high then gradually decreases over a few minutes (~5 mins in my case) before I get a 'More power' message, followed by a 'Power has been reduced..' message, then a 'Hold for 5 seconds...' message. After this the resistance resets to the initial value and the cycle repeats.

I have pointed out to Garmin that they appear to have a serious Quality Assurance issue; the past three releases (at least) have each brought a new (and for me) serious issue:

1. Can't watch a film during a workout because the 'Confirm' button was missing
2. Scaling on the workout graph was totally wrong (all the trace lines couldn't be seen because they were off the scale)
3. Resistance levels all over the place during an FTP workout

I've also mentioned to Garmin support is that I'm having a problem understanding why each new release doesn't seem to add much in terms of features but *does* break something that's a part of its core functionality. If they keep on with this there's going to be no compelling reason to pay to use the app when there are other platforms available. The TDA forms a part of many cyclists' training 'tool set' but if it's unreliable then there's no point using it.
J.Veerhoek
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Today I did a Slope-workout and this worked without a problem and as advertised and since the Films are actually Slope workouts I assume that these are not affected with the erratic Powerissue.
Only normal power variance just as IRL.
Tomorrow I will do a Power-workout to eliminate wether it is 'FTP-power' or 'resistance output to trainer' related problem.

Than ofcourse we still have to wait for GARMIN/TACX to resolve the issues.
Last edited by J.Veerhoek on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.Veerhoek
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Power workout showed same behaviour as the FTP based workout so it's most likely not an issue with FTP calculations.
My guess is that the 'resistance output to trainer' is the problem.
Hopefully we can expect an update in the coming weeks.
For me it's not worth paying for as it is.
Zwift works fine though in any mode/workout!
J.Veerhoek
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

And another update dated june 16th, let's see what this brings us.