Gaslit by TDA

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Please bare with me as I am a newbie but I am so glad I have found this forum. I am in a complete conundrum. Garmin have kindly replaced 3 trainers and now have upgraded me to a new Flux S 2. However, I seem to constantly have the same issue and I am hoping someone here has had the same.

At first both I and Garmin though it was a firmware issue, as everytime I updated the machines (Tacx Vortex) - it would show in the TDA that the machine was completely connected (all four lights in TDA were green). Yet when you go to calebrate, no speed is ever registered. The machiens (multiple ones) all show a sequence of Green - Red - Red sequence. The new Flux S is running the latest Firmware straight out the box, I pluged it in (UK mains power) and I get exactly the same issue. Fully connected by bluetooth, all 4 green lit and TDA can see it.

Then when you come to calibrate it, I can cycle like my life depends on it and all I get is 0.0 mph. I have tried TDA on my Iphone, my Ipad and even my AppleTV (tried the Zwift app) and no joy. (all running the latest IOS). I have tried different power cords and pluged into different sockets in my home. ANYONE have any bright ideas on what it might be?

At this point I have had 4 trainers both on wheel and off wheel with the exact same issue so it must be something crazy simple. The latest one is brand new. My original one - worked like a charm for 18 months until I updated the firmware.... which is why Garmin and I have always thought it was that. However, the FLux is running the latest, right out the box and brand new (it is the 2 not the 1). I am plugging directly into a socket (no extention cords). Any other ideas to try or does any one know what the Green Red Red error code is?????
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I am a little confused by your terminology. You refer to not having any success using TDA with various mobile devices, but TDA (Tacx Desktop App) only runs on a desktop computer (either the Windows version or the the Apple MAC version). The Tacx Training App (TTA) is for Android or Apple mobile devices. So, have you actually tried or used TDA?
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Apologies - this is where I am the Newbie. - I refer as you say to the TTA./ not the TDA. I was only able to load software from the Apple App store so have been using the Training App. Perhaps I need to move the thread to TTS? I am getting used to the acronmyns.

What I have also found out since I posted earlier - I was on firmware 3.3.45 / 0.0.0 but asked to update to 3.3.40 / 1.1.6. On the Flux it is only the power button which flashes. The bluetooth and the ANT+ buttons are solid.
mcorn wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:24 pm I am a little confused by your terminology. You refer to not having any success using TDA with various mobile devices, but TDA (Tacx Desktop App) only runs on a desktop computer (either the Windows version or the the Apple MAC version). The Tacx Training App (TTA) is for Android or Apple mobile devices. So, have you actually tried or used TDA?
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Don't worry about deleting or moving your first message.

If you have anyway to try your trainer using TDA on either a Windows PC or an Apple Mac, I would do that. You can download, install TDA, and do a demo ride for free without actually buying a subscription. This would be a good test to determine whether the problem is somehow related to your mobile setup.
Michael Corn
CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I tried the TDA today. Also no joy. I did hear from my bike shop it might be that that Bluetooth range isn't great - so have bought a range extender. See if that might help. I spent a good two hours on the phone with Garmin today and they are also at a loss. At this point they have escalated it up to the engineering team as to have it happen on 4 machines, one new (three refurbished) is beyond strange. There is only limited things it can be - Power, Firmware or Bluetooth. I am trying to eliminate each one to try and narrow it down.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

CBEE wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:23 am I tried the TDA today. Also no joy. I did hear from my bike shop it might be that that Bluetooth range isn't great - so have bought a range extender. See if that might help. I spent a good two hours on the phone with Garmin today and they are also at a loss. At this point they have escalated it up to the engineering team as to have it happen on 4 machines, one new (three refurbished) is beyond strange. There is only limited things it can be - Power, Firmware or Bluetooth. I am trying to eliminate each one to try and narrow it down.
Bluetooth extender seems very unlikely to help. BT has a range of 30 feet if there are no walls.

What kind of computer setup did you use for testing with TDA?
Michael Corn
CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Using a brand new MacBook Pro (2021) running Monterey 12.3.1.

The odd thing is I had it unplugged all last night. When I plugged it in this morning - the bluetooth light isn't coming on. However it does show as connected by bluetooth on the TDA. I have some extender dongles coming this afternoon. I don't think it is a bluetooth problem but..... by process of elimination I wanted to make sure and test it
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

CBEE wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:07 pm Using a brand new MacBook Pro (2021) running Monterey 12.3.1.

The odd thing is I had it unplugged all last night. When I plugged it in this morning - the bluetooth light isn't coming on. However it does show as connected by bluetooth on the TDA. I have some extender dongles coming this afternoon. I don't think it is a bluetooth problem but..... by process of elimination I wanted to make sure and test it
I am not familiar with exactly how the Mac handles BT connections, but if it is like Windows, then you do NOT make a BT connection in an OS window. You make it only through TDA. If BT is connected in the OS window and tries to connect through TDA, there will be a conflict and it will not work. I would be very surprised if using a separate BT dongle helped, but if you go through that route you may have to disable the BT transmitter built into the Mac.

Out of curiosity, does your BT HRM connect okay in TDA?

Also, I assume you do not have any extra BT sensors on the bike such as speed or cadence. At least for now, the trainer should be the source for brake control, power, speed, and cadence with the HRM being the only other BT sensor.

Can you provide a TDA screenshot showing the trainer connected to TDA?
Michael Corn
CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Sorry it took a day but here you go.

I have more, but here you can see all 4 lights are connect. The TCA can see it (as can Ipad and I phone). Everything connects but no matter how hard I pedal I go 0.0mph so you can never calibrate it.

On the trainer - bluetooth light - is blue, ANT light is Green - Power light flashing Green red (but as I have mentioned before - this is exactly what happened on the previous replacement trainers - however didn't happen on my original vortex.)
Attachments
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG (22.28 KiB) Viewed 19706 times
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG (31.01 KiB) Viewed 19706 times
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Here is how you do a screenshot on the Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Is the second one TDA?
Michael Corn
CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Sorry I was taking pictures on my phone but should have taken screen shots. Here it is (reduced to make the attachment limit).
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 18.28.58.png
Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 18.28.58.png (240.15 KiB) Viewed 19698 times
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

When you press about the app, what does it say? This looks like the mobile training app, not TDA.
Michael Corn
CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

No that is the TDA from the Apple Store from the desktop, although the app for the ipad and phone is very similar indeed. The TDA is Version 4.25.5 (8860).
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

CBEE wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:49 pm No that is the TDA from the Apple Store from the desktop, although the app for the ipad and phone is very similar indeed. The TDA is Version 4.25.5 (8860).
I just looked at the Garmin website, and TDA for the Mac was discontinued in January 2022:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?produ ... b=software#

It would be nice if you had a Windows friend who could help you test on a Windows PC. Or if you know someone with an Android phone, you could try that version of the Training App.
Michael Corn
CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Interesting but no change. I brought my office PC back home and downloaded TDA 4.29.0.0 (x65 update 26/4/2022) to try it. So it also connects by Bluetooth you can see 2 lights on (in this case BT and Wattage).

The same issue, like with the Mac App - you go to calibrate it, again you bike like a crazy person and you get 0.0mph. So I am having the same issue both on Mac and PC.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

CBEE wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 pm Interesting but no change. I brought my office PC back home and downloaded TDA 4.29.0.0 (x65 update 26/4/2022) to try it. So it also connects by Bluetooth you can see 2 lights on (in this case BT and Wattage).

The same issue, like with the Mac App - you go to calibrate it, again you bike like a crazy person and you get 0.0mph. So I am having the same issue both on Mac and PC.
Aside from failure to calibrate, do you get speed and power when you actually do a ride?
Michael Corn
CBEE
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

No - my avatar just sits there. Going nowhere quickly. ;)

So long chat with Garmin yesterday and they clearly seem to know something is up. I have been asked to return it, and they are now upgrading me to a Flux 2 from the S. Not holding my breath after my previous experiences but here is to hoping. There is clearly something up with the Firmware update as it is happening on both Android and Apple devices.

Keep you posted..... (fingers crossed).