Tacx Training Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

iepuzaur
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Romania

Well, I got the following reply from them:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email. We are not able to assist your via this channel.
The Tacx Trainer software 3 and 4 are phased out and not supported

If you have one of these trainers

T1980 Bushido T1980 (brake itemnumber says T1981)
T2000 or T2020 Genius (brake itemnumber says T2021)
T2050 Ironman ((brake itemnumber says T2021)
T1960 or T2170 or T2160 iVortex (all white Vortex of brake says T2171)
T1940 Fortius trainers
T2020 iFlow trainers

Please contact us via Https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=A ... 96d3hGKPW5 so we can offer you an alternative solution. Please send your serialnumber of the trainer and your address details via the website contact list so we can assist you in your own country. If you cannot select TTS4 you can also select another application and ad your details to it."

Well, on that link you will only be informed that TTS4 is no longer supported. So this would be the case.

On the other side, I have installed TTS4 and each time I start it it asks for the license, But when I click next it starts. I am not sure if this might be a trial period and if it will work this way, but for now it starts. Weird.
Maybe Kyke could provide us with more info, I didn't quite understand his message on how they remove the license checking, maybe it's this behavior I have noticed as well?

Thanks,
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

It sounds like they are trying to do something to accommodate users with older non-Smart trainers. Perhaps they have a system for clearing certain IP addresses. If they are doing this, that would be a good thing.

Maybe at some point, they will bite the bullet and just release TTS for free use the same way that Tacx did for the Fortius software. As I said elsewhere, I don't think this will have a large long-term economic impact for Garmin/Tacx. In fact, it may be a positive economic impact in terms of helping with customer good will. And at some point, TTS might stop working altogether on Windows 10 PC's as Microsoft rolls out new updates that create compatibility problems for TTS and this will just be an asterisk in a history book.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Lfulvio
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Italy

iepuzaur wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 am Well, I got the following reply from them:

"

On the other side, I have installed TTS4 and each time I start it it asks for the license, But when I click next it starts. I am not sure if this might be a trial period and if it will work this way, but for now it starts. Weird.
Maybe Kyke could provide us with more info, I didn't quite understand his message on how they remove the license checking, maybe it's this behavior I have noticed as well?

Thanks,
will work for 7 days then hangs.

mickyduck
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

mcorn wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:11 pm It sounds like they are trying to do something to accommodate users with older non-Smart trainers. Perhaps they have a system for clearing certain IP addresses. If they are doing this, that would be a good thing.

Maybe at some point, they will bite the bullet and just release TTS for free use the same way that Tacx did for the Fortius software. As I said elsewhere, I don't think this will have a large long-term economic impact for Garmin/Tacx. In fact, it may be a positive economic impact in terms of helping with customer good will. And at some point, TTS might stop working altogether on Windows 10 PC's as Microsoft rolls out new updates that create compatibility problems for TTS and this will just be an asterisk in a history book.
This would be a perfect solution.. hope they read this forum, I am continuing to irritate their support as I was not informed of the lack of support despite having a TACX account and Garmin account. At the moment both our systems work (apart from a couple of films) and we have turned off updates on the laptops that run TTS but I really dont intend buying another trainer until this breaks.... unless I have to
ATENEA
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
Location: In the mountains @ 5,000' when not by the sea in Mallorca or France
USER_FLAG: Spain

Just tested; it works.
Tacx Genius (non-smart), Tacx Bushido, Tacx Neo 2T
Garmin Edge 1000, Garmin Fenix 6S Pro
Windows 10
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

10 years and only minor issues.TTS4 and all my RLVS keep working. :thumbsup:
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
iepuzaur
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Romania

it works if you have it activated, the topic was related to those unhappy people who have to reactivate it...
Brave Lee Flea
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I have two Fortius trainers which my wife and I recently decided that we wanted to get back into using. I was very disappointed to find that TACX had removed my ability to install the TTS software.

Being an IT professional :D I it turns out that I had an old backup of an old laptop that had TTS4 installed (so much for the lie that TTS4 doesn't work with Windows 10). I restored the backup into a virtual PC in Oracle VirtualBox and after a bit of mucking about it is all working flawlessly on my laptop. My laptop is bit underpowered so the video is occasionally a little bit jerky but I can live with that. My turbo trainers now work again and, thanks to the technology of virtualisation, are completely future proofed.

I understand and agree with the site policy of not encouraging piracy however I do not feel that Garmin/TACX making it impossible re reinstall software that you bought and paid for is acceptable.

I feel strongly that Garmin/TACX policy have not behaved properly towards their customers. My turbo trainers would have been so much junk if I had not had that backup and I would like to help other people who might find themslves in that same position by sharing the virtual machine image with them.

It seems to me that nobody who doesn't already own TACX hardware would want the software and since it is now discontinued and not supported I don't feel that sharing it could fairly be considered piracy (as long as any recipient applies a new windows 10 activation key).

I suspect that the site probably won't want to host any download links (?) but I am hoping that the moderators of this forum will allow this post to remain so that if anybody would like a copy of my virtual PC they can send me a private message and I can share the VM with them.

I will understand if the forum does not feel able to leave this post but I am just trying to help people who I feel have been unfairly treated.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

The last post is interesting. A few comments:

1. Not sure who was lying that TTS4 would not work with W10. Many of us have been using it with W10 for a long time. That is public knowledge.

2. I don't think feeling you have been unfairly treated is a defense to copyright infringement or piracy, so I would be careful about relying on that.

3. But having said that, if someone has a properly paid for and licensed copy of TTS4 and does something simply to make it work, they are probably operating within the terms of the license.

4. Some folks here have said that the TTS4 license is tied to the specific licensed version of Windows where it was installed. So, attempting to clone this to a different Windows activation code may not work.
Michael Corn
mickyduck

I have been told that if the PC has the same name then the license key will work... I dont know if that is true and I dont have another PC to rename and try it.....

As a backup I am trying to use Golden Cheetah which has a "train mode". Installing the USB drivers is tricky as they are unsigned so windows does not like them but this can be circumvented. There is also an issue with a clash with the drivers if TTS is on the same PC. There is a very recent modification that will play the RLV using the AVI and TTS files, this is so recent it is not in the official release version but is in the test release. It is not as elegant as TTS and the power seems to fluctuate from the fortius but it does work and some people have it working well by adjusting some of the power curve settings.. sadly that is beyond my programming skills ... which are non :D

It works well I am told with the more modern "smart" trainers
Hansi
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Denmark

mickyduck wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:26 am I have been told that if the PC has the same name then the license key will work... I dont know if that is true and I dont have another PC to rename and try it.....

As a backup I am trying to use Golden Cheetah which has a "train mode". Installing the USB drivers is tricky as they are unsigned so windows does not like them but this can be circumvented. There is also an issue with a clash with the drivers if TTS is on the same PC. There is a very recent modification that will play the RLV using the AVI and TTS files, this is so recent it is not in the official release version but is in the test release. It is not as elegant as TTS and the power seems to fluctuate from the fortius but it does work and some people have it working well by adjusting some of the power curve settings.. sadly that is beyond my programming skills ... which are non :D

It works well I am told with the more modern "smart" trainers
Please have a look her - https://lunicus.org/tacx-trainers/tacx- ... oftware-4/
It worked for me :)
Same computer name with the activated license key and remember to backup as written.
robbooth
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Australia

I moved TTS4 today from an old PC to a newer PC that had a deactivated copy using this method.

Only thing I had to do was enter my licence code when I first launched the software. No name changes needed.

So I'm back in business, couldn't quite get into Catalyst on TDA. Particlarly the way it cut power and needs an exertion after stopping pedaling for a short while.
Harry@Holland
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Netherlands

Brave Lee Flea wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:52 pm ....it turns out that I had an old backup of an old laptop that had TTS4 installed (so much for the lie that TTS4 doesn't work with Windows 10). I restored the backup into a virtual PC in Oracle VirtualBox and after a bit of mucking about it is all working flawlessly on my laptop.....

...I feel strongly that Garmin/TACX policy have not behaved properly towards their customers. My turbo trainers would have been so much junk if I had not had that backup and I would like to help other people who might find themslves in that same position by sharing the virtual machine image with them. It seems to me that nobody who doesn't already own TACX hardware would want the software and since it is now discontinued and not supported I don't feel that sharing it could fairly be considered piracy (as long as any recipient applies a new windows 10 activation key)....

Dear all,

Being yet another virtual biker affected by the discontinuation of TTS4 support, I just inscribed to this forum. I have been using TTS4 for training in winter time with my RLV collection on a Fortius. The dedicated offline laptop (W7) worked perfectly for 7 years until the hard-drive died last week . No problem I thought, feeling safe with the original installation DVD at hand. Well, we all know better now, don't we.

I have two things to add to this constructive discussion (which I find rather uplifting in COVID times when small frustrations easily inflate to solid anger ).

First, I would like to share the outcome of my actions: As the license server is down, I tried option 2: sending an email to "tacx@registerserver.net" with a unique ASCI string produced by the installation software. Apparently, that service is automated (little extra labour required to keep it up). Unfortunately, that email domain proved to be also down. Obviously, the ASCI string contains all info required to produce the unique activation key for your system. All you would need is the proper algorithm to extract it. Being a software developer myself, I am quite sure that that algorithm is not lost. It is just not available. As others stated: TTS4 only serves owners of hardware. So, why not reserve a mail account on your server to help us out, Garmin? Through LinkedIn, I traced some former Tacx software developers. I feel reluctant to contact them for that algorithm, because that is where I would enter illegal territory (and lure them into it as well). But I still might, on an angry day :D

To Brave Lee Flea: thank you so much for offering this solution. I fully agree with your motivation to do so, but I am also aware that you, in person, could become the target of legal action from the side of Garmin/Tacx. At least, if they are really so much disconnected from their loyal client-base as it appears at the moment. I would prefer to run a legally obtained version (my own) on the dedicated W7 system, but I also happen to run Virtual environments on a powerful new system. So, if it is not too much asked Lee, you would do me a big favor! It would keep you on the safe side if people could hand in pictures of their installation disk and hardware in return. I can...

I'll see and figure out how to send private messages on this platform then.

Success everybody on solving this issue the best way for yourselves (without buying the new Neo)
robbooth
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

robbooth wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:35 am I moved TTS4 today from an old PC to a newer PC that had a deactivated copy using this method.

Only thing I had to do was enter my licence code when I first launched the software. No name changes needed.

So I'm back in business, couldn't quite get into Catalyst on TDA. Particlarly the way it cut power and needs an exertion after stopping pedaling for a short while.
I stand corrected.

Just installed on a new PC from scratch. Copied the licence file but I had to rename the new PC to match the old installation PC name.
mickyduck

robbooth wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:19 am
robbooth wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:35 am I moved TTS4 today from an old PC to a newer PC that had a deactivated copy using this method.

I stand corrected.

Just installed on a new PC from scratch. Copied the licence file but I had to rename the new PC to match the old installation PC name.
It is reassuring when you do copy to new PC and it works extending the life of the older trainer
uhj
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Denmark

robbooth wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:19 am

I stand corrected.

Intro me: UHJ, 58 years, 20 years+ of using TTS2,3,4. Running a Bushido "no smart", winX+TTS4.23 and it works very, very well. Planning on replacing my laptop (+10 years of service), though, hence this reply.
Option 1) As I understand from reading this thread; it will suffice to install TTS4 as deactivated on a new PC, relocating the license file and renaming the new PC to the name I used on the old PC?
Option 2) I was planning on cloning my old machine and setup to a virtual machine (VMWare vCenter Converter) and running it virtualised from now on.
Basically, my question to this vast group of knowledge: Should I go with option 1 or 2? (For opt. 2, I will, of course, equip the said PC sufficiently to run the virtualised machine. Hardware will be "what is needed" + a little more)
Thanks to everybody in advance.
UHJ
mickyduck

Cannot answer re what option but DO NOT DEACTIVATE the licence on the existing install copy the .LIC file off ... DO NOT DEATIVATE.
robbooth
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

uhj wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:51 am
Intro me: UHJ, 58 years, 20 years+ of using TTS2,3,4. Running a Bushido "no smart", winX+TTS4.23 and it works very, very well. Planning on replacing my laptop (+10 years of service), though, hence this reply.
Option 1) As I understand from reading this thread; it will suffice to install TTS4 as deactivated on a new PC, relocating the license file and renaming the new PC to the name I used on the old PC?
Option 2) I was planning on cloning my old machine and setup to a virtual machine (VMWare vCenter Converter) and running it virtualised from now on.
Basically, my question to this vast group of knowledge: Should I go with option 1 or 2? (For opt. 2, I will, of course, equip the said PC sufficiently to run the virtualised machine. Hardware will be "what is needed" + a little more)
Thanks to everybody in advance.
UHJ
I have no experience of option 2 but option 1 works perfectly if you have a copy of your working licence files AND you can rename the PC to exactly match the PC with the working version.
Darada
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I have a licensed TTS4 which is working. And 10 Blu-ray video routes that I bought off Tacx last year when they were selling them off. But I only tried to install them today for the first time and have come up against the license server problem.

A quick internet search has got me here and it looks like it's bad news. But I wanted to post a message just in case anyone comes up with a solution. In the meantime I've contacted Garmin asking for a refund as credit on the new subscription software. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Darren
eri
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Darada wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:53 am I have a licensed TTS4 which is working. And 10 Blu-ray video routes that I bought off Tacx last year when they were selling them off. But I only tried to install them today for the first time and have come up against the license server problem.

A quick internet search has got me here and it looks like it's bad news. But I wanted to post a message just in case anyone comes up with a solution. In the meantime I've contacted Garmin asking for a refund as credit on the new subscription software. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Darren
Subscription discount? I cant believe you guys are still willing to give them your money. Send them a copy of your receipt and ask for your money back. Talk to your government consumer agency. I've dealt with garmin over a marine map rebate and they were totally reasonable. Otherwise you might want to explore other options. If you give them money you reward them for jacking their customers.

I recently posted a video on youtube on how to unpack your tacx dvds to use them with other training software, in my case golden cheetah. Maybe theres something similar that works for bluray?
Darada
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Just as an update, Garmin support were very slow but completely reasonable in my opinion. They have no intention of releasing license codes but have given me a 1 year subscription to the new product. I'd rather have my original Blu-rays working but this is a good compromise.
mickyduck

Darada wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:46 am Just as an update, Garmin support were very slow but completely reasonable in my opinion. They have no intention of releasing license codes but have given me a 1 year subscription to the new product. I'd rather have my original Blu-rays working but this is a good compromise.
A reasonable outcome for you but no use to anyone who does not own a more recent trainer.. My fortius in not compatible with TDA.. I'm pleased that my TTS is still working and I should be able to keep it going until the trainer dies....
Darada
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

True, and I'd also much rather own outright than have ongoing subscription fees.
But I thought it was worth mentioning that it seems
- Garmin have no intention of fixing the registration server problem
- but they are open to reasonable compensation. I'd imagine they'd be willing to give vouchers in the case where a free subscription isn't suitable
mickyduck

They offered me 10% off a new trainer
CARSARECOFFINS
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I updated Windows 10 yesterday and now my TTS4 software won't start and gives me message: The installation code of the license file does not match with Code 4. I tried entering TTs4 license key and it just says invalid license key.
I really liked using the virtual reality worlds of TTS4. I don't really care for the real life videos. Is there any way to get my TTS4 sofware working again so I can use the virtual training feature? I hate that everything is going to fee based subscriptions. I paid for TTS software and the ability to use it as a standalone virtual world with my Neo Trainer.

Thanks
Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Norway

Hello
Is there any way to know the name of an old computer? I have a copy of the hard disk, but I didn't write the name of the computer.
Thank very much.
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

CARSARECOFFINS wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:57 am I updated Windows 10 yesterday and now my TTS4 software won't start and gives me message: The installation code of the license file does not match with Code 4. I tried entering TTs4 license key and it just says invalid license key.
I really liked using the virtual reality worlds of TTS4. I don't really care for the real life videos. Is there any way to get my TTS4 sofware working again so I can use the virtual training feature? I hate that everything is going to fee based subscriptions. I paid for TTS software and the ability to use it as a standalone virtual world with my Neo Trainer.

Thanks
Starts for me with the latest Windows 10.I keep thinking a new update will turn it into a brick but after 11 years it still works with no issues. ;)
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Silentblock wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:09 pm Hello
Is there any way to know the name of an old computer? I have a copy of the hard disk, but I didn't write the name of the computer.
Thank very much.
Assuming you have a copy of the hard disk that you can access and read, there are a number of ways to find the computer name. A Google search on this topic will reveal a number of approaches. Here is a fairly simple one. Go to the file c:/windows/debug/NetSetup.txt and the details should be there.
Michael Corn
Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Norway

mcorn wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:24 pm
Silentblock wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:09 pm Hello
Thank very much.
Assuming you have a copy of the hard disk that you can access and read, there are a number of ways to find the computer name. A Google search on this topic will reveal a number of approaches. Here is a fairly simple one. Go to the file c:/windows/debug/NetSetup.txt and the details should be there.
Yes, I have a copy and have access.
Unfortunately I do not find that file.
Anyway, thank you very much for your help.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

It is possible it is set up as hidden file, but you can unhide it. That file should exist in every Windows installation.
Michael Corn