TTS4 License Server - It Works at Least For Now - But Not After March 1

Tacx Training Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I decided to make this a topic by itself because it is of interest to those trying to extend the life of their TTS program. This post applies only to TTS4. I did not try any other version.

I, too, believed there was no ability to authorize a new install of TTS even if you had a fresh, unused code. I was WRONG.

My older TTS installations would no longer work because as a tester, I had time-limited licenses and when the time expired, TTS would no longer start. However, I happen to have a TTS4.8 Basic disc package that I legally acquired which had never been used. To my great surprise, after doing the install and going through the license screen, the software was authenticated online just as before. Nothing had changed.

Because this is a basic version, it is limited in what it can do, but I was mostly interested in testing some of my new hardware (Neo2T and Flux 2 Smart). My big problem was getting this up to version 4.23.1. I first tried updating using my downloaded discrete TTS4 updates I had kept over the years, but none of them would work. Next I tried installing a full 4.23 over this TTS4.8 version. It did install, but the results was a defective installation that would hang when starting the TTS executable directly (the updater was missing). So, I uninstalled and made a safety backup of the TTS4 ProgramData folder, which contains the license "B" file. I then did a fresh install of 4.23. I noted that the B license file remained from the original 4.8 install. When I opened 4.23 this time, it took me to the license authentication screen. I again entered the same Basic version code I used previously, and TTS made a network connection and authenticated. I then installed the 4.23.1 updated without any issue. I did a short test with my Neo2T and my old circular Genius handlebar controller and both of them worked fine with my Tacx ANT+ transmitter.

So, I did end up with a properly working TTS4 installation. My big problem is finding a way to install some of my numerous coded Tacx videos. I have a feeling those codes will not work as they have been used before. But I will try a couple to see. I also have some non-coded third-party videos that I can try.

I know this is a lengthy post, but I wanted to convey all the steps in my experience. As suggested above, I was semi-shocked the license server is still working and authenticating, which I think is a good thing. It is hard telling when something might happen with Windows 10 that could permanently disable TTS4 from working at all.

April 1 Update: I changed the title of this thread to reflect that the license server is no longer active.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper
USER_FLAG: Russia

mcorn wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 pm So, I uninstalled and made a safety backup of the TTS4 ProgramData folder, which contains the license "B" file.
It made sense to do this in the reverse order. The presence of the tts4b.lic file indicates that the license is deactivated on this computer.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!
wilf
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Germany

Alex Masalovich wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:17 pm The presence of the tts4b.lic file indicates that the license is deactivated on this computer.
I think the b (tts4b.lic) indicates a Basic version. This is on my second laptop with a running Basic licence.

The other advanced has tts4.lic
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Wilf is correct, tts4b.lic is the license file for the basic version. It only appears if you are doing an initial install from the Basic version. If you upgrade to Advanced, the basic license file will still remain in the installation.

Everyone will note that the title of this subject says "at least for now", so it may only be that Tacx did not get around to turning it off on January 1. If anyone needs to do anything with the license server, I would advise doing it very quickly. I have no idea if the deactivate and transfer function is still working, but if it is, this would be an opportunity to transfer a TTS4 installation on a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 10 PC. But again, no promises or representations that this function is working as I have not tested it. But if it is working, it enables you to move a license to a different PC.
Michael Corn
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I can confirm that the TTS license server will also authenticate Tacx RLV's if you have a proper code. I installed T1956.76, King Ridge Grand Fondo, California on my TTS4.23.1 Basic installation. Even though I had previously installed this video on my now defunct TTS4 Advanced version, I seem to recall that Tacx gives you some grace and allows two uses of one code, so I assume this is why it worked.

So, I feel it is likely that other license server functions are also operable, like the license release and transfer function.

Again, not sure how long this window of authentication services will be available.

Just a comment on video quality. This was one of the last TTS videos released. I recall it being of very good quality, but candidly, it is not as good as the TDA HD download videos, both in terms of the video file itself and the playback quality (I used video player 2 in TTS for my test). I have a reasonably decent PC with a good Nvidia 4GB video card, but even with that, this older TTS video is not as good as what I see with TDA. I also installed a non-coded RLV from a well-known third-party German vendor. Again, my memory of that video turned out to be better than the actual experience.
Michael Corn
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

wilf wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:46 pm I think the b (tts4b.lic) indicates a Basic version.
mcorn wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:56 pm Wilf is correct, tts4b.lic is the license file for the basic version. It only appears if you are doing an initial install from the Basic version.
Firstly, the installer is the same for the basic and advanced versions. Secondly, my experience in trying to activate the Advanced license on a second computer still led to the formation of these two files: tts4b.lic and tts4.lic

However, I thank you both for an important observation: after activating the license, only one of these two files remains, depending on the type of license.
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

mcorn wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 pm Even though I had previously installed this video on my now defunct TTS4 Advanced version, I seem to recall that Tacx gives you some grace and allows two uses of one code, so I assume this is why it worked.
I have a different assumption. Your previous beta license was temporary. Since RLV licenses are included in the TTS4 license, the license expired for both of these products. And the RLV license has become not tied to a computer.
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

mcorn wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 pm
Just a comment on video quality. This was one of the last TTS videos released. I recall it being of very good quality, but candidly, it is not as good as the TDA HD download videos, both in terms of the video file itself and the playback quality (I used video player 2 in TTS for my test). I have a reasonably decent PC with a good Nvidia 4GB video card, but even with that, this older TTS video is not as good as what I see with TDA. I also installed a non-coded RLV from a well-known third-party German vendor. Again, my memory of that video turned out to be better than the actual experience.
Nvidia Ge Force GTX 1080 ti 16G using Video 1 and the playback is smooth and the picture quality is very good on all the TTS rides i have done in the last 2 weeks.
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Alex Masalovich wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:10 am
mcorn wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 pm Even though I had previously installed this video on my now defunct TTS4 Advanced version, I seem to recall that Tacx gives you some grace and allows two uses of one code, so I assume this is why it worked.
I have a different assumption. Your previous beta license was temporary. Since RLV licenses are included in the TTS4 license, the license expired for both of these products. And the RLV license has become not tied to a computer.
Alex-

You might be right. I don't have any detailed knowledge of the inner workings of this licensing system. Today, i was able to authenticate about 25 RLV's and all of them went through without any issue. Of course, I do not have any record of whether I had used these codes more than once previously.

I had forgotten how tedious the TTS system was. I know it is only a one time event per video, but this still took quite awhile to get them all authenticated. It is a lot more work compared to the TDA subscription system.
Michael Corn
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike
USER_FLAG: Belgium

great to hear they turned it back on, I know I made quite a caustic moan about this being done especially right in the middle of the winter, Im guessing there is probably quite a huge number in the many 1000s that are using the software still & they only just finished selling off all their old DVD & BD disk stock....Im guessing support will have been hammered.

Mike your right about the hassle factor, I can open my iphone right now type the 1st 3 letters of any ride I want to do & do this ride streaming in HD to my TV set wirelessly over airplay inside 10 seconds probably 5 seconds if I just pick what ever ride I can see in the menu directly...its a new world. As for quality, the California rides were filmed in I think 2012 or late 2011, There is presently no rides made earlier then 2013 in the new Tacx collection, thats when we moved to a newer type of cinemacamera gear. Everything filmed from 2016 until now is filmed in 4K & I think thats now 2/3rds of all the films.
kahanamoku
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Italy

I have been in conversation with Garmin customer support since my software started saying it couldn't connect to the server. Actually my latest email was just this afternoon.
Obviously I am not impressed that having sold RLV up and until the end of August 2019, they then say that this software won't install now, and if any of the software including TTS needs reinstall, that can't happen because the server to authenticate is no longer working. From what you say, that server is still up, and I am very pleased to hear that is the case. It's been my main argument with Garmin support.
Their stated reasons for taking away support for TTS are
1) TTS4 won't work on Windows 10 (obviously untrue from what some of you have written)
2) It doesn't comply with Data Protection regs. Apparently the EU are bringing in even tighter controls that put the citizen at the centre of what data is held on them. Garmin, an American company, probably want to come under the looser US regs... Personally, I don't like that one little bit. Us in Europe/UK have no control or input on any of our data stored/used by US companies.

At the moment the fact that TTS4 just shows this message is not important, I can use it and it uploads to Strava... BUT..... I am running Windows 7 and upgrading to Windows 10 isn't straight forward - I would have to change motherboard and basically put together a new PC to do it, and anyway, I am not very impressed with that top heavy load of coding anyway. (computer geek in me showing)...So, for me, an upgrade would mean a new PC and a new trainer... that's a serious chunk of cash investment and all for no real reason!

A question.... For most of us, I am guessing TTS4 auto downloaded and updated... does anyone actually have a copy of this software, because when it comes to installation, they certainly won't be allowing the updates to flow... ....
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I have installed about 30 coded Tacx videos in TTS4 recently. I am now running TTS4 using W10 on the same PC that I previously had W7 on to run TTS4. I don't see much difference in TTS4 with W10 compared to W7, but I have always had more crashes, freezes, and data loss with TTS4 than I would have expected. Others have more positive things to say about TTS4 than I do.

I agree that people ought to have a reasonable way to use their fairly expensive RLV's. On the EU vs. US data issue, I think the issue with the videos is protecting the privacy of people who appear in the videos. As a result, Tacx has blurred faces and license plates on TDA videos, but obviously they can't do anything about the TTS4 RLV's.

I have done many W7 to W10 migrations, some clean and some in place. I have found W10 works very well. Some older PC's I had that were on W7 have run better on W10. I would surprised if your old W7 used for TTS4 wouldn't do just as well with W10, unless you have some kind of unusual hardware limitation. I have some very old MB's running W10. The most important thing if you have a TTS4 installation is to save the ProgramData TTS4 folders as a backup. This contains your license file. If you have this, it is relatively easily to do a brand new install if something bad happens.
Michael Corn
audunth
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Norway

Quick couple of questions: Is TTS3 also still possible to deactivate/reactivate? Or didn't TTS3 need online activation? Does TTS3/TTS4 support the newest trainers (Neo 2T/Flux2)?

Just wondering since I'm about to sell my Genius (upgraded to Smart, but obviously I'll give the old Genius circuit board to the buyer too, as a reserve) and get a Neo 2T.

Regards,
Audun
Regards,
Audun

----------------------------------

Oslo, Norway
Tacx Neo 2T
Tacx Antares
Windows 10, Android, Garmin Fenix 5, Garmin Edge 520 Plus
Scott Speedster S30 2011 Road Bike
Scott Scale 30 26" MTB
mickyduck

Good morning
since the "Official" forum closed I have been using TTS4 without issue and was unaware that the License server was being turned off. A friend called me last night asking for help as her old PC was broken and she needed to install on new PC. Thanks to this site I was able to point her to the download file which she installed without issue however she cannot get her license validated so the server must now be off.
If she can get her .LIC file off her old drive can she just copy this onto her new PC?
If so I had better copy mine .....
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

mickyduck wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:00 am Good morning
since the "Official" forum closed I have been using TTS4 without issue and was unaware that the License server was being turned off. A friend called me last night asking for help as her old PC was broken and she needed to install on new PC. Thanks to this site I was able to point her to the download file which she installed without issue however she cannot get her license validated so the server must now be off.
If she can get her .LIC file off her old drive can she just copy this onto her new PC?
If so I had better copy mine .....
The license file is tied to a specific PC, although I do not understand what the specific tying factors are. I seriously doubt that copying a license file from one PC to another will work. If only the hard drive failed on her old PC, she could try replacing only the drive, reinstalling TTS4 and then copying over the saved license. I am not optimistic that will work either, but she could try.

Yes, you should back up your license file (or better yet back up your entire TTS4 ProgramData folder, which includes the license file as well as other information).

Perhaps there are others who have a deeper understanding of what the license file links to in the PC and can comment.
Michael Corn
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

I seem to recall from the old forums that when someone renamed the PC, they had to have support reactive the license. So while I have no means of confirming this, I suspect the license file includes the PC 'Name' and possibly the MAC address but even so, unless Tacx can be persuaded to give us the public key, there is not way to edit the license file as it is encrypted.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

ms6073 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 pm I seem to recall from the old forums that when someone renamed the PC, they had to have support reactive the license. So while I have no means of confirming this, I suspect the license file includes the PC 'Name' and possibly the MAC address but even so, unless Tacx can be persuaded to give us the public key, there is not way to edit the license file as it is encrypted.
Some users have described creating multiple OS images on different hard drives, any one of which can be used on the same PC. I suspect that there are a number of specific identifiers that are used in the TTS license algorithm, including the PC name and perhaps the MAC address of the LAN card, but I would guess it is a lot more than this. Otherwise, it would be too simple to get around the license restrictions. It may also be tied to CPU and motherboard identifiers, like the motherboard chipset. I recall in other contexts that changing motherboards can create license issues due to have a new chipset.
Michael Corn
harrykl
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Germany

Hello,

the License Server is down now and so you cannot install the TTS4. The Support at Tacx says they have no access to the server so they can't give you a license. I tested to copy the program Directory and the Userdata-Directory "tacx" to a new PC. But you can't start the Software.

If anyone has a Tipp, please let me know.
Harry
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

Don't copy, clone the original drive onto a new drive and try that.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
Stub
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Luxembourg

I bought several RLVs last year, activated them and used all of them with my TTS4. I now find that three of them have disappeared but the others still work. When I checked the Licence in the Help tab, I can see for the RLVs that still work it says 'activation done' but for the three missing ones (which at least are listed here) it doesn't. So between last August, when I last used these three RLVs and now, they have become de-activated.
I understand I can't reactivate them now as the server no longer works but I'm just clutching at straws. As I had activated them previously, could there be something in the history somewhere on my laptop that I could revert to to make them work?
mickyduck

Strange thing today, Susan tried to ride one of her licensed RLV and it asked for license key which we have but cannot validate it as we know the server is no longer available. Tried another RLV which worked.. went back to the other that then also worked.
I found some information from Alex on how to move TTS to another PC apparently the PC does have toi have the same name as the original installed one.

He has a help page for TTS

LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN service provider stated page was unsafe to open. (also forum rules dictate not posting this type of external link)

Looks like we will eventually be stuffed is a pity as my very old Fortius still is able to work me into quite a sweat....
Kyke
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Spain

I can't activate my original license for TTS4 and my Tacx Fortius Multiplayer after my PC crash. Any option for hack software or any alternative for Windows 7 and Tacx Fortius Multiplayer ?.

S.O.S. & Thanks friends.
Kyke
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

harrykl wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 pm Hello,

the License Server is down now and so you cannot install the TTS4. The Support at Tacx says they have no access to the server so they can't give you a license. I tested to copy the program Directory and the Userdata-Directory "tacx" to a new PC. But you can't start the Software.

If anyone has a Tipp, please let me know.
Harry
I´m with the same problem, anyone have a solution ?. My TTS4 its original and I´ve a serial number on DVD but now I not to do. Other software compatible with Fortius Player or hack lee check license...I´m ver hungry with Tacx/Garmin.
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

Kyke wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:28 pmAny option for hack software or any alternative for Windows 7 and Tacx Fortius Multiplayer?
You might want to take a look at the Forius Software page Nuzrow has on his main site.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I have the old Fortius software working. It only works with older USB-interfaced trainers like the Fortius and Imagic. But keep in mind the software requires a 32-bit operating system. If you don't have a 32-bit OS currently installed (I happen to have a 32-bit Windows 10 OS on one PC), there are various ways to accomplish this. But you also need to be a bit of a computer geek to do all of this, so for many people it just won't be worth the trouble. In addition, you cannot use any of the later version TTS videos that require a code to activate with the older Fortius software.

I actually liked the older Fortius software. After ironing out a few bugs, it was much more reliable than TTS ever was.
Michael Corn
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike
USER_FLAG: Belgium

Just a hyperphetical question,
Last edited by BerthaVision on Sat May 02, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
iepuzaur
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Romania

HI guys,

i own an i-vortex and yes, it has not been used in a while but now with Covid is a good time to reput it in function. I have switched the old hdd to an ssd and i do not see any .lic file there (i have the original dvd of course and the tacx activation looks dead). Any ideas of other software to work with the Tacx i-vortex? Or should i consider it the worst investment ever (shame on Tacx for the way they play with some products that had at least 500 EUR price,,,).
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyke
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

iepuzaur wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:43 pm HI guys,

i own an i-vortex and yes, it has not been used in a while but now with Covid is a good time to reput it in function. I have switched the old hdd to an ssd and i do not see any .lic file there (i have the original dvd of course and the tacx activation looks dead). Any ideas of other software to work with the Tacx i-vortex? Or should i consider it the worst investment ever (shame on Tacx for the way they play with some products that had at least 500 EUR price,,,).
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
So friend, I am in the same, with a lot of money invested in the Tacx and several versions of the original software. I have already discussed with Garmin/Tacx and they were able to remove the license checking of the Software for which we have a roll of these.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Kyke wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 pm
So friend, I am in the same, with a lot of money invested in the Tacx and several versions of the original software. I have already discussed with Garmin/Tacx and they were able to remove the license checking of the Software for which we have a roll of these.
I think it would be helpful to everyone if you provided a few more details, including when this happened, exactly what version of the software you have (I assume TTS4), and exactly what Garmin/Tacx did to make your software usable. If that has happened, that would be good news for a lot of users.
Michael Corn
Kyke
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 pm
Kyke wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 pm
I think it would be helpful to everyone if you provided a few more details, including when this happened, exactly what version of the software you have (I assume TTS4), and exactly what Garmin/Tacx did to make your software usable. If that has happened, that would be good news for a lot of users.
Garmin/Tacx gives me no solution, always answered with very rude explaining that they didn't think to do anything about it. I propose that it would be a good solution that the versions of TTS3 and TTS4 were to be changed to not ask for the license number and put available a download file with the latest update that was available in his day. Just that, I don't think they lose money with it, on the contrary, they would gain future loyal customers to your brand.

I tried to fix this since October of 2019 and there is no way.