TTS4 License Server - It Works at Least For Now - But Not After March 1

Tacx Training Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Norway

mcorn wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:54 am It is possible it is set up as hidden file, but you can unhide it. That file should exist in every Windows installation.
I have found the name of the old laptop, change the name in the new one, copy all the files to each folder, but TTS4 is not working.
I assume that all the drivers, DirectX, etc. are not installed . So, quick question. How can they be installed? Is it possible to install these drivers/software without removing TTS4? Or is it better to reinstall TTS4 and copy the lic file? In this case, is it just to remove all the files in Program Files foler and Program Data and reinstall teh software?
Thanks in advance
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

Detailed set of instructions on this website. You are likely going to need to do a complete reinstall of TTS4 and then copy over the license file.

See "How can I reinstall TTS4?":

https://lunicus.org/tacx-trainers/tacx- ... oftware-4/
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:41 am Detailed set of instructions on this website. You are likely going to need to do a complete reinstall of TTS4 and then copy over the license file.

See "How can I reinstall TTS4?":

https://lunicus.org/tacx-trainers/tacx- ... oftware-4/
One last question, once the software is installed correctly.
I have installed one video, but I cannot find in TTS4 the ones I copied from my old computer. These are in the folder Program Data\Tacx. The one I installed after reinstalling TTS is in another folder. So, is it just to move the old videos to the folder where the last video is installed?
Thanks in advance
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

It is usually a good idea to keep all the videos in the same folder. But in TTS, there is an xml file that specifies the location of the video, so you may need to edit that.

Be sure to make a backup of the file for safekeeping before doing any editing.
Michael Corn
mickyduck
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Hi if the video is not found you can just "browse" to find it within TTS. I think the "TTS" file has to be in "trainings"
Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:53 pm It is usually a good idea to keep all the videos in the same folder. But in TTS, there is an xml file that specifies the location of the video, so you may need to edit that.

Be sure to make a backup of the file for safekeeping before doing any editing.
I think I have solved the issue copying the TTS files to the folder "Trainings". Now, all the videos are in the list and it is just to choose the AVI file.
I have, anyway, one problem with one of the videos. Once I choose the video, I get a message saying that the file is not the correct video. I tried to edit the XML file in settings, but this is not working: then the TTS file disappears from the folder "Trainings" and I have to copy the TTS file again. I edited the XML with Wordpad, in Windows 10.
The video is the Sault side of Mount Ventoux, included in the DVD 1956.68. The DVD was activated, so this could be the issue. But other videos in the same DVD are OK. Where could the roblem be? Could it be the name of the file? Did I make any mistake when editing the XML file?
Thank yoy very much in advance
Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mickyduck wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 am Hi if the video is not found you can just "browse" to find it within TTS. I think the "TTS" file has to be in "trainings"
Hi!
Yes, that was the issue; I didn't have the TTS files in the folder "Trainings"
Now, it seems that all the videos are in the list; only one issue with one file -as explained in the previous post.
Thanks for your help.
mickyduck

When you select the video file if incorrect there is a message saying something like this is not the video then file name TTS is expecting.. The video file must be named the same as it is expecting
So far I have never had to manually edit any files.. there is something on here saying that if you delete the index file it is rebuilt on restarting....
Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mickyduck wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:45 pm When you select the video file if incorrect there is a message saying something like this is not the video then file name TTS is expecting.. The video file must be named the same as it is expecting
So far I have never had to manually edit any files.. there is something on here saying that if you delete the index file it is rebuilt on restarting....
Where would it be possible to find the name the TTS file is expecting? I moved 9 videos, and only 1 is having problem.
The only thing I can see is that the TTS file is named "Ventox" while the AVI file is named "Ventoux" In my previous computer it worked perfectly despite this difference -but it was installed directly from the DVD with the license. As this is a licensed video, I cannot reinstall it...a pity.
Nevertheless, I will continue trying to make it work.
Thanks for your feedback.
mickyduck

I thought when you try to add the video file it tells you in the message what the name of the file it is looking for is called if it errors ?
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I have this vague recollection that there were some TTS videos out there that had problems with the *.tts file, but it has been a long time and I cannot recall which ones. It is also possible that there is something wrong with the particular *.tts file you are using. There should be a 1956.* number for this video and if you look under license information, it should be there. Perhaps someone as a clean *.tts file.
Michael Corn
Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mickyduck wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:35 am I thought when you try to add the video file it tells you in the message what the name of the file it is looking for is called if it errors ?
That's the funny thing. The file I'm trying to add has the same name than the one stated in the error message...really annoying
Silentblock
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:45 pm I have this vague recollection that there were some TTS videos out there that had problems with the *.tts file, but it has been a long time and I cannot recall which ones. It is also possible that there is something wrong with the particular *.tts file you are using. There should be a 1956.* number for this video and if you look under license information, it should be there. Perhaps someone as a clean *.tts file.
The DVD is 1956.68, and has three videos. Two are OK. Maybe it's, as you say, the tts file for that video. But it worked perfectly in my old laptop.
mickyduck

Silentblock wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:54 pm
mickyduck wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:35 am I thought when you try to add the video file it tells you in the message what the name of the file it is looking for is called if it errors ?
That's the funny thing. The file I'm trying to add has the same name than the one stated in the error message...really annoying
"Exactly the same".... I had a capitalisation issue with one of mine?
I will see if I have a TTS file....
Brave Lee Flea
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Brave Lee Flea wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:52 pm
I feel strongly that Garmin/TACX policy have not behaved properly towards their customers. My turbo trainers would have been so much junk if I had not had that backup and I would like to help other people who might find themslves in that same position by sharing the virtual machine image with them.

It seems to me that nobody who doesn't already own TACX hardware would want the software and since it is now discontinued and not supported I don't feel that sharing it could fairly be considered piracy (as long as any recipient applies a new windows 10 activation key).

I suspect that the site probably won't want to host any download links (?) but I am hoping that the moderators of this forum will allow this post to remain so that if anybody would like a copy of my virtual PC they can send me a private message and I can share the VM with them.

I will understand if the forum does not feel able to leave this post but I am just trying to help people who I feel have been unfairly treated.
Apologies it has been a long time since I made this post and a few people have contact me about it. At the time that I made the virtual machine I did not understand the relationship between the name of the PC and the tts4.lic licence file.

The laptop that I used to make my virtual machine was my work laptop on to which I had installed TTS4. The last step of creating my virtual machine was to change the windows name of the virtual pc as the original name of the laptop contained the name of the company I work for.

Of course, this broke the TTS4 installation.

It took me a while to work out what had happened but once I did I realised that I could not distribute the virtual machine without also distributing the name of my employer. I apologise but I didn't feel it was appropriate for me to do that.
PlannedObsolescence
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I recently needed to move TTS4 to another computer and was stung by this problem. Not wanting to make landfill out of something that's still working great, and knowing a thing or two about software, thought I'd have a look and see if I could maybe make some changes. Turns out I could, so I patched it, and have made a version without any license checks. Not sure if this appropriate for this forum or whatnot, so won't post it here unless it's deemed ok?

Given that you need their hardware for the software to be useful, and users are sidestepping the license check by changing computer names, using VMs, etc... I don't see this as any different, and it passes any ethical test in my book, but thought I better check first.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

PlannedObsolescence wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 am I recently needed to move TTS4 to another computer and was stung by this problem. Not wanting to make landfill out of something that's still working great, and knowing a thing or two about software, thought I'd have a look and see if I could maybe make some changes. Turns out I could, so I patched it, and have made a version without any license checks. Not sure if this appropriate for this forum or whatnot, so won't post it here unless it's deemed ok?

Given that you need their hardware for the software to be useful, and users are sidestepping the license check by changing computer names, using VMs, etc... I don't see this as any different, and it passes any ethical test in my book, but thought I better check first.
I thought about this for a while. Ethical tests are pretty subjective. It is very easy to rationalize something that seems to fit one's personal ethics. The more appropriate question is whether it is legal. I believe that developing hacks that would enable an unauthorized person to use the software would likely violate the terms of use/copyright agreements that came with TTS4. If that were the case, it would also likely violate piracy laws.

The forum rules prohibit "encouraging the use of piracy or warez distributions, or any otherwise illegal content." (https://www.lunicus.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3)

While this is not an official Garmin/Tacx forum, the company has been friendly and allowed the posting of the older Fortius software.

So, while I am personally sympathetic to the problems faced by users who have legitimately purchased TTS4 and now find themselves unable to use it for a variety of reasons, until Garmin/Tacx liberates this software into the public domain (something I recommend and support), I don't think posting a workaround that allows anyone to use the software, including someone who was never a legitimate licensee, would be proper. Therefore, I don't think you should post the information here.
Michael Corn
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

TTS is end of life and no longer supported and in many cases, sold TTS and RLV right up until the day they ended support and turned off the license servers. So as long as there is no intent to market something derived from Tacx software, what owners of a licensed copy of the software decide to do with it, is entirely up to that person!
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

ms6073 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:47 pm TTS is end of life and no longer supported and in many cases, sold TTS and RLV right up until the day they ended support and turned off the license servers. So as long as there is no intent to market something derived from Tacx software, what owners of a licensed copy of the software decide to do with it, is entirely up to that person!
As I said, I am sympathetic to legitimate purchasers who find themselves in an unfair situation. However, it is not that simple. A published hack that enables people who are not legitimate licensees to use the software is a dual use problem.
Michael Corn