Tts4 with non tacx trainers?

Tacx Training Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

Madships
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Wales

I have used my fortius and various incarnations of tts for years now, and have a large number of rlvs in my collection. However due to 'life' i could do with replacing my fortius with a quieter trainer- is it possible to use tts4 with a kickr or saris h3? I can't recall if tts4 will run trainers over ant+ fe-c, and tacx/ Garmin have done a pretty good job of scouring useful info from the Internet. I know I could get a tacx neo and that should work, but the way they have pulled support for tts4 has left a bitter taste in my mouth so I am looking at other options!
wilf
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Germany

I know that the bearer of bad news will be killed ;-)

But unfortunately it is the case that TTS4 only works with Tacx's own trainers.

So either buy a neo or forget TTS4.

Have fun with what you choose.
Madships
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I had found a tacx video that seemed to show it could see generic FE-C trainers, so emboldened I have ordered a saris. if it doesn't work, then i guess I will just have to accept defeat and walk away from TTS. will let you know how I get on!
kostya416
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Canada

Madships wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:45 pm I had found a tacx video that seemed to show it could see generic FE-C trainers, so emboldened I have ordered a saris. if it doesn't work, then i guess I will just have to accept defeat and walk away from TTS. will let you know how I get on!
You can get subscription with Veloreality. Streaming 720p subscription is so far free and the library has something around 400 videos. This should let you get by for a while.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I believe that whether a particular trainer will work with TTS4 depends on the software's drivers, not the video. There are third-party sellers of TTS compatible videos that will work with other software as well, so perhaps that is the source of confusion.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

wilf wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:52 pmBut unfortunately it is the case that TTS4 only works with Tacx's own trainers.
I think you are confusing the Tacx Desktop App which is BT with TTS. I say this because I recall there being a number of members on the old forums hosted by Tacx that used TTS with BKOOL and ELITE smart trainers via ANT+, the key being that TTS has to at least be updated to v 4.16 or newer (I think this is when the ANT+ FE-C protocol was added to the stack) and the trainers had to be ANT+ FE-C compatible. As for a trainer to replace the Fortius, the Flux S and Flux 2 are nearly as quiet as the Neo and are nearly half the price of a Neo 2/2T.
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

I'm using TTS4 with an ancient BKool Connect - USB cable from the trainer to the computer, and am Ant+ USB stick - it needs both. Works fine.

TTS4 should work with any ANT+ trainers
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

nzuraw wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:34 pmTTS4 should work with any ANT+ trainers
Correction, TTS4 should work with any ANT+ FE-C compatible trainers. TTS still uses private ANT+ to communicate with Tacx legacy trainers such as the non-smart Bushido, Genius, and Vortex.
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

ms6073 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:37 pm
nzuraw wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:34 pmTTS4 should work with any ANT+ trainers
Correction, TTS4 should work with any ANT+ FE-C compatible trainers. TTS still uses private ANT+ to communicate with Tacx legacy trainers such as the non-smart Bushido, Genius, and Vortex.
Oops, quite right
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
wilf
USER_FLAG: Germany

wilf wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:52 pm
But unfortunately it is the case that TTS4 only works with Tacx's own trainers.
I have to admit to my shame, I was wrong.

I was just at my local bike shop and tested TTS4 with Wahoo KickR and Cycleops Hammer H2 with ANT+ FE-C .

Both trainers were recognized, the KickR even with the logo and name. The CycleOps runs as an unknown device.

They both only delivered the wattage. Cadence and speed I could not see. The speed was calculated from watts, incline and weight. Sometimes I felt it was slow to calculate.
I had this with my Flux even before I attached an external cadence sensor.
So go ahead and test what else we can do with TTS4.

Greetings from Hamburg (first day in spring time with sun)

Wilf
Madships
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Well I tried connecting tts to my quaq powermeter, and that worked fine so I am relatively confident. The new trainer comes any day now, so will let you know how I get on.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Madships wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:59 pm Well I tried connecting tts to my quaq powermeter, and that worked fine so I am relatively confident. The new trainer comes any day now, so will let you know how I get on.
Please keep us posted on your results. Keep in mind that a third-party ANT+ power meter is not the same thing as a trainer brake. I've always been able to use my PowerTap power meter (along with other third-party ANT+ cadence and speed sensors) with TTS without any problem.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Madships
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

OK, got the new turbo (saris h3), and just done a quick shakedown test. Tts found the trainer as a FE-C trainer no problem, and on both real life video and virtual reality it worked as expected- resistance adjusted with gradient and TTS displayed watts, speed, and cadence. There appeared to be a little bit of lag in displayed power and cadence (around a second), but apart from that everything is as expected. So would say off the back of this that tts4 can run non tacx FE-C trainers just fine