Video player 1 doesn't work

Tacx Training Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

wilf
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Germany

I have a strange phenomenon.
Since the last nvidia driver update for my ASUS GTX 750TI on Win10 20H4, the video player1 no longer works.
Player2 works.
Does somebody has any idea?
Greeting from Hamburg
Wilfried
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

Video playback was always one of the weaker aspects of TTS and often a source of bugs. I have no idea of the specific problem here, but it would not surprise me that TTS users with W10 could wake up one morning and find that TTS has stopped working altogether as a result of a Windows update.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
mickyduck
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Quite possibly and we couldn't really blame TACX for not being compatible with something that did not exist... it would also make the Garmin "Lie" that TTS does not work with Windows 10 become the truth ;)
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

I had this a while back. It was solved by going into Windows 10 Default Apps.

Recently a new update changed the 'Default App' for the 'Video Player' to 'Movies and TV' (which is a Microsoft app). Changing this to Windows Media Player or better still Media Player Classic solved the issue for me.

In Settings App, select "System" to display System Settings screen. In System Settings screen, select "Default apps". In "Default apps" screen, click on current video player name (Movies & TV) under "Video player" and select your new video player from "Choose an App" selection window.

If you want to use Media Player Classic - here is the link
https://mpc-hc.org/
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I see that there is a new W10 feature update (20H2) that is rolling out. I should have asked Wilf whether he installed it as that could be a cause of the problem.

And it is possible, consistent with Nic's suggestion, that this new feature update (almost a new OS) changed some default media player settings.
Michael Corn
wilf

Sorry my desktop PC is Win10 20H2 not 20H4.

But the error did not occur when updating Windows 10 but when updating the nVidia driver (now 432) for the GTX 750TI.

I have a parallel laptop with a different configuration Intel i7 with Geforce 820m - also with Win10 20H2. There the videoplayer1 works without problems (with the standard setting for video "Movies & TV").

I tried Nic's way on the desktop and first entered Windows Media Player as the standard player - without success - then installed the MPC - without success either.

It is not a major misfortune for me, the desktop has enough power for the videoplayer2, but I am interested in finding the cause.

And in addition I have 2 removable SSD with older Win10 and drivers and they will not updated. But this SSD's are slightly slower...
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

wilf wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:10 pm Sorry my desktop PC is Win10 20H2 not 20H4.

But the error did not occur when updating Windows 10 but when updating the nVidia driver (now 432) for the GTX 750TI.
I think I said 20H2.

You could try just removing the nVidia driver package. It should revert to Windows 10 default if you did that.
Michael Corn
wilf

Yes, you said 20H2 but I said in my first post 20H4 :D

I will work on it...
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

wilf wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:39 pm Yes, you said 20H2 but I said in my first post 20H4 :D

I will work on it...
I see. Big loop here.
Michael Corn
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager

Just checked both my TTS PCs (2 PCs) both running Win10 20H2 - Video player 1 working on both. I checked my Nvidia drivers, as bot PCs are running GTX560ti graphics cards - cheap and cheerful and adeuqate for TTS (RLV and VR) and Zwift (Best settings). The drivers are pretty old as the new drivers do not work with that model of graphics card anymore.

Hence this is looking more like a Nvidia driver issue I reckon. What is your graphics card and Nvidia driver version?

I do have another PC with TTS on, its using the latest nvidia drivers (v457.51) on a RTX2080 super. I will check to see if Video Player 1 is working on there.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

nzuraw wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:58 pm Just checked both my TTS PCs (2 PCs) both running Win10 20H2 - Video player 1 working on both.
I do have another PC with TTS on, its using the latest nvidia drivers (v457.51) on a RTX2080 super. I will check to see if Video Player 1 is working on there.
My PC is up to date with W10 20H2 and latest nvidia drivers(v457.51)on Ge Force GTX 1080Ti.
The ride I have just done using video player 1 played with no issues.
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager

Same here - latest drivers for nvidia and W10 - Player 1 working.

Check to see if there are any video players and video editing software installed. Some of these install their own codecs. It's possible that this is interfering. You could also try installing FFDShow as that has some codecs that the older video player use to utilise.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy