Did anyone ever make a map of the VR routes?

Tacx Fortius Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

JimN
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

You know, like Tolkien's Middle Earth? Presumably the programmers knew. After many years, I still haven't worked them out and I get the impression that some of the terrains join up. It would be good to have a map on the wall in front of me where I can mark where the dragons are most likely to be.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

It's been awhile since I looked, but I thought there was a map on the selection screen similar to this page from the software manual. I seem to recall that you can get a little more detail.

P.S. I assume, based on where you posted this, that you are referring to the Fortius software and not TTS.
Pages from T194025 Fortius_manual_2008 - UK.jpg
Pages from T194025 Fortius_manual_2008 - UK.jpg (69.99 KiB) Viewed 14379 times
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Malfukt
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

I took screenshots of the overhead map (red route on dark blue background if i remember correctly) but those screenshots will be on one of many archived hard drives i have...if get a chance i will pop them in Hard Drive docking station try reclaim the screenshots.
Malcolm Armstrong.
United Kingdom
JimN
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:35 pm It's been awhile since I looked, but I thought there was a map on the selection screen similar to this page from the software manual. I seem to recall that you can get a little more detail.

P.S. I assume, based on where you posted this, that you are referring to the Fortius software and not TTS.

Pages from T194025 Fortius_manual_2008 - UK.jpg
Thanks, yes, you are right, there are maps on the selection screens which look brilliant ... but they are tiny and spin round too fast to get any detail. They look as though someone has created a model, either in real life (probably unlikely) or virtually, and designed the routes from that. Some programmer somewhere could even still have it on their computer (or even in paper-mache and stashed in their loft.) I would love to track them down as they put a LOT of work into them.
JimN
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Malfukt wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:58 pm I took screenshots of the overhead map (red route on dark blue background if i remember correctly) but those screenshots will be on one of many archived hard drives i have...if get a chance i will pop them in Hard Drive docking station try reclaim the screenshots.
Thanks Malcolm
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

I am pretty certain many of the virtual routes were modeled on/after real world terrain such as the Velagio seems to be based around rides the town of Bellagio in the Lombardia region of Italy.

JimN
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Massive thanks to someone who PM'd me from Italy with beautiful overhead map images of all the terrains - works of art in themselves and now printed out to be in front of me when I ride - I will get them framed and put on the wall in front of me later. They are detailed enough to enable me to steer and look around when in VR to see if I am really following the river to my right and to be disappointed when I can't actually see it on the valley floor. Had a go at a friend's Zwift yesterday, what a comedown in terms of VR realism.
Often new things to discover, even after many years of riding the terrains. I only noticed today that my shadow faithfully mimics my adjusting my position on the handlebars.
JimN
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Now WinXP has gone I suspect that there are very few of us now actively using the old VR terrains, with occasional Catalyst sessions, but I find that there are still treasures to be found. Ambitions now include exploring and, even possibly annotating, the maps. I have a friend who is both a professional model maker, has a 3D printer, and is IT savvy. Before contacting him, does anybody know if the Fortius software includes enough information to build a model that mimics the spinning terrain image that comes up before riding a route? Just a thought that I woke up with this morning.
wilf
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Germany

Of course, the FORTIUS (blue) software is getting a bit old. I have it running on a Windows7 computer (no longer on the Internet, also with TTS1 and TTS3) and on a VMWare installation (XP).
I couldn't say I use the software a lot, so VR Fortius and TTS3 is being the same. What I love about this software is the accident with the steering device. Whoever taxed himself falls and has to start again after standing still. With VR in TTS4, I keep driving even when taxing.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

wilf wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:55 pm Of course, the FORTIUS (blue) software is getting a bit old. I have it running on a Windows7 computer (no longer on the Internet, also with TTS1 and TTS3) and on a VMWare installation (XP).
I couldn't say I use the software a lot, so VR Fortius and TTS3 is being the same. What I love about this software is the accident with the steering device. Whoever taxed himself falls and has to start again after standing still. With VR in TTS4, I keep driving even when taxing.
I am still able to run the old blue Fortius software, including the VR module, on my 32-bit Windows 10 machine. But for now, I do not have either a USB Imagic or USB Fortius trainer hooked up to that PC.
Michael Corn
wilf

mcorn wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:03 pm
I am still able to run the old blue Fortius software, including the VR module, on my 32-bit Windows 10 machine. But for now, I do not have either a USB Imagic or USB Fortius trainer hooked up to that PC.
In my hardware zoo I have 64bit Windows10 with the VMWare installation, the Fortius Sw works with iMagic. I turned it in as a spares in the basement in case the Flux fails.

I got the first one 10 years ago for free, because the owner didn't get it to run on a Mac ;) . I shot the last ones (three, two with steering unit) on eBay for an average of 15 €. So I hope to be assured until I stop training.

But who knows if a Tacx neo walks past me? And my wife doesn't notice :-)
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

wilf wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:37 pm
But who knows if a Tacx neo walks past me? And my wife doesn't notice :-)
I've owned them all, but I have to say that my Neo2T is by far the best, although I have owned it for less than year, so time will tell. I also have a Flux2 Smart as well, which I like, but it is not as smooth as the Neo. The only thing I prefer about the Flux is the stand, which is more rigid and does not wobble as much.
Michael Corn
wilf

mcorn wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:58 pm
The only thing I prefer about the Flux is the stand, which is more rigid and does not wobble as much.
Some like it hot :-) There are many guys who make installations like RockR Plate for more wobbleing ...
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

wilf wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:38 pm
mcorn wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:58 pm
The only thing I prefer about the Flux is the stand, which is more rigid and does not wobble as much.
Some like it hot :-) There are many guys who make installations like RockR Plate for more wobbleing ...
I have tandems and unfortunately, a small wobble in the rear translates to a very large wobble on the front due to the longer distance compared to a single, which is too much. I also think the Flux stand is inherently stronger. The folding mechanism on the Neo looks to me like a potential source of failure.

I ended up fabricating a simple fork stand that greatly reduces the wobble. The Neo needed a wider stand compared to the Flux to get the stability I wanted.

Fork Stands Cropped.JPG
Fork Stands Cropped.JPG (115.38 KiB) Viewed 14129 times
Michael Corn