Windows 7 PC running TTS needs upgrading to Windows 10

Tacx Fortius Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

flanagaj
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Hi all,

I have a Fortius and TTS software and about 30 RLVs installed. Just wondering what options I have as Windows 7 is now longer supported so I need to upgrade to Windows 10, but also don't want to lose what I have. Is it a case of just keeping the windows 7 machine as is and buying a new pc with windows 10 for home use?

Was considering upgrading to a Smart trainer, but given the fortius does what I want I'd rather not.

Keen to hear what others are doing given that windows 7 is no longer supported and TTS too.
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

I kept TTS4 on my Windows 7 Lap Top for 8 years and only had minor issues.I purchased a W10 lap top for TDA but wanted to keep TTS on my W7 lap Top.However i decided to get a high spec PC for TDA.My W7 lap top was slowing down so last year i reinstalled TTS on this PC(good move because 2 months later the Lap Top died)I now have TTS and TDA working perfectly on the PC and another W10 lap top for home use.

TTS cannot be reinstalled so I would keep it on W7 and buy another CPU with W10 for home use.
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
flanagaj
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

So basically, if my ageing windows 7 pc was to fail then although I have TTS v 2.0 installation disc I won't be able to reinstall it?
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

flanagaj wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am So basically, if my ageing windows 7 pc was to fail then although I have TTS v 2.0 installation disc I won't be able to reinstall it?
A reinstall of TTS is not possible as from January 2020.If your ageing PC was to fail then its goodbye to TTS.
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

Cycling2011 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 am
flanagaj wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am So basically, if my ageing windows 7 pc was to fail then although I have TTS v 2.0 installation disc I won't be able to reinstall it?
A reinstall of TTS is not possible as from January 1st 2020.If your ageing PC was to fail then its goodbye to TTS.
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
flanagaj
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thanks.

That is really poor of Tacx. Was there anything in the T&C when we purchased the Fortius that mentioned they could pull the plug and stop you using the product you purchased.

Is this because they have taken their licence server offline so it can authenticate the product?
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

flanagaj wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:14 am Thanks.

That is really poor of Tacx. Was there anything in the T&C when we purchased the Fortius that mentioned they could pull the plug and stop you using the product you purchased.

Is this because they have taken their licence server offline so it can authenticate the product?
The plug has not been pulled unless you have to reinstall TTS4.If you keep your Windows 7 PC for TTS then it should still work.
For myself i have a Neo and use TDA most of the time.I will be upset :cry: if in the future TTS4 stops working but it is a Legacy product and the future is TDA. :)
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

flanagaj wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:14 am Thanks.

Yes, the TTS licensing system requires a form of authentication from a network server, which is no longer available.

I am surprised you are still using TTS2 or that it even works. My guess is TTS2 authentications were dropped quite a long time ago by Tacx (well before the recent shut down of the Tacx license server), but I don't know that for a fact.

You actually do have an alternative for using your Fortius trainer and what I presume are your older RLV's. Your trainer and RLV's will work with the original Fortius software that preceded TTS. That software is free, but you must have a 32-bit operating system. An old version of Windows XP would work fine. Just don't make any kind of Internet connection. Information and downloads for the software can be found here:

https://lunicus.org/tacx-trainers/fortius-software/

There are instructions for creating a virtual player as well, so you don't need another PC.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper
USER_FLAG: Russia

flanagaj wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 pm I have as Windows 7 is now longer supported so I need to upgrade to Windows 10
It is not necessary. Windows 7 fans have already released a patch to receive further updates:

https://

Just come here periodically, we will discuss the topic of continued support for Windows 7.

Admin notice: link removed contains .zip file if anyone wishes to receive it please contact Alex via private message or email..
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

Alex Masalovich wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm Admin notice: link removed contains .zip file if anyone wishes to receive it please contact Alex via private message or email..
Actually the link was for an example. After January updates, you will need a new version of the patch.
Malfukt
Team Manager
Team Manager

Alex Masalovich wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am
Alex Masalovich wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm Admin notice: link removed contains .zip file if anyone wishes to receive it please contact Alex via private message or email..
Actually the link was for an example. After January updates, you will need a new version of the patch.
Links to files .exe .zip etc are not advisable.. admin would need test each one to assure nothing untoward attached.. random links to innaproprite websites has been issue and it would be preferrable for anyone with a link to files which could have potential to compromise their PC not be posted directly.

As suggested you are welcome to ask if anyone wishes to have said files that they contact you directly via PM or your email.
Malcolm Armstrong.
United Kingdom
flanagaj
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

So can I just clarify something here. I have Tacx Trainer Software 4 Advanced downloaded and installed on my windows 7 pc. I also have the license code for the downloaded version. Are we saying that should I wish to reinstall the version onto another pc (mine is getting old) that I won't be able to?
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

flanagaj wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:28 pm So can I just clarify something here. I have Tacx Trainer Software 4 Advanced downloaded and installed on my windows 7 pc. I also have the license code for the downloaded version. Are we saying that should I wish to reinstall the version onto another pc (mine is getting old) that I won't be able to?
To be honest i am not really sure what can or cannot be done.On FB i get some guy saying i cannot read,his links saying TTS
will not work on W10,then sends me more links :roll:.I was saying i have it working great on my W10 PC.I now read another
report in this Forum[TTS Status]saying he tried to activate licence on another CPU and got reply Licence is already activated
on the other[1st]CPU.

If you have it working on your old W7 PC then you can try to reinstall on new W10 PC.If it fails then you have it on your
old PC until it dies.At the end of the day a smart Trainer and TDA is way forward ;)
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
flanagaj
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

At the end of the day a smart Trainer and TDA is way forward
I'd love a Tacx Neo 2 but I can't justify the price at the moment.
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

flanagaj wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 pm
At the end of the day a smart Trainer and TDA is way forward
I'd love a Tacx Neo 2 but I can't justify the price at the moment.
I used a Legacy Bashido and TTS for 8 years with only a few minor issues.I look back with happy memories of my time on this Trainer :)
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

There are a couple ways to Extended Security Updates (ESU) on Windows 7, to continue using it after Microsoft pulls the plug.

The Legal Method:
Purchase Windows 7 ESUs through a CSP, customers should contact a CSP partner. If you are a partner and need details on procuring Windows 7 ESUs through the Partner Center, see Purchasing Windows 7 ESUs as a Cloud Solution Provider.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... a-p/917807

The Illegal Method
To use the Windows 7 Extended Security Updates service, users need to activate ESU on their Windows 7 devices using the license key issued to them by Microsoft.
This is done via a tool called BypassESU that bypasses the ESU license checks so that users can get the updates for free.

Please note: This tool is illegal
Microsoft stat that instead of using this crack, Windows 7 users are encouraged to upgrade to Windows 10, which can still be done for free
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

nzuraw wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:34 pm This is done via a tool called BypassESU
This is not the only way. Fundamentally different solutions have been prepared. But about them in due time - in February.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I think that in general asking ordinary users with average levels of technical expertise to play with hacks, workarounds, and manual OS security updates is not good advice. Besides making a mess of your PC, you risk having major security problems. Almost all mainstream sources (not just Microsoft) recommend that people stop using Windows 7 (just like they did for Windows XP) because of potential major security vulnerabilities. Huge numbers of people get their life messed up every day because of cyber crime. It really is not worth taking a chance this will happen in order to save a bit of money unless you really know what you are doing and are highly diligent (like on a daily basis).

P.S. Don't be surprised if Microsoft closes the bypass ESU loophole some time soon.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Brave Lee Flea
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

flanagaj wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 pm Hi all,

I have a Fortius and TTS software and about 30 RLVs installed. Just wondering what options I have as Windows 7 is now longer supported so I need to upgrade to Windows 10, but also don't want to lose what I have. Is it a case of just keeping the windows 7 machine as is and buying a new pc with windows 10 for home use?

Was considering upgrading to a Smart trainer, but given the fortius does what I want I'd rather not.

Keen to hear what others are doing given that windows 7 is no longer supported and TTS too.
Don't know if this thread is still of interest to anybody but the free upgrade to Windows 10 is still available although not widely publicised (I used it in late 2020) . It will upgrade your windows installation to windows 10. You might need to reinstall the TTS4 software to install the funny USB drivers but other that that it should just work. I had no problems.

Heres how you can still get a free windows 10 upgrade:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

Make a backup, make sure you keep your tts4.lic file and if it doesn't work just follow the instructions here to reinstall the software:
https://lunicus.org/tacx-trainers/tacx- ... oftware-4/

I have done a lot of upgrades in situ and it has mostly been flawless. Make sure you have enough disk space!!!

AND MAKE A BACKUP !!!!

My choice has always been to invest in an SSD, I use AMOEI Bakupper to copy the existing system onto the SSD and then remove the original system disk (this is now your backup). You can then reboot the system using the SSD as the system disk and do the upgrade on the SSD. This has the benefit that if it doesn't work you can simply remove the SSD and put your old disk back. SSDs are pretty cheap these days and the performance improvement will extend the serviceable life of an old PC by years. Best upgrade you can get IMO.

And then, once it is done .... MAKE A BACKUP !!!!