Ant+ dongle for Fortius ?? T2028

Tacx Fortius Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

rick8245
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Netherlands

Hi,

Does anybody here have an ant+ T2028 working on a Tacx Fortius ??

I think about buying one but I want to be sure it will work on the Fortius.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Rick
wilf
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Germany

In the old Tacx Forum was a man from Ottawa, who made an interface called antifier. Here is the description, the link to the programs are also avialable, but I don't know, if I can publish here:

"This is a really cool hack that enables use of older non-smart Tacx trainers
with third party SMART apps like Zwift and TrainerRoad. And it's FREE!

OVERVIEW

This project will enable a Windows or Linux PC to broadcast ANT+ data via a
dongle from a Tacx trainer connected to it via USB. This can be either be
from a standalone PC broadcasting to a PC or tablet running e.g. Zwift or
Trainerroad, or from a Windows PC already running Zwift/ Trainerroad (this
PC will therefore require two ANT+ dongles)
It will work as a "Smart Trainer". In "resistance mode" it will control the
resistance of the trainer via messages from the application controlling it.
i.e. as the hill in Zwift gets steeper, the resistance will increase.
It will also work in "erg mode" e.g. if Trainerroad sets a target wattage of
200W it will alter the resistance so you generate that power at the wheel
speed you are at, negating the need for cadence or gear changes.
A note on gradients- Antifier will set the resistance of the trainer according
to the data it receives from the app. Zwift has a setting "trainer difficulty"
which alters the gradient sent from the gradient ahown on the screen. In its
default setting (middle of the slider), the gradient sent to Antifier is
approximately 50% of the slope on the screen. In this case a screen 5% slope
shows on Antifier as a 2.5% slope. If the slider is moved all the way to the
left (off), then Zwift will only send a gradient of 0% regardless of screen
slope. If the slider is all the way to the right, then Zwift sends a gradient
double that which is shown on the screen, i.e. a 5% slope on the Zwift
screen will show in Antifier as 10%. Adjust this slider as required- about 3/4
of the way to the right will result in Zwift sending the same slope it shows
on the screen. This will not affect calculated power values sent to an app
from Antifier."
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

rick8245 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:18 am Hi,

Does anybody here have an ant+ T2028 working on a Tacx Fortius ??

I think about buying one but I want to be sure it will work on the Fortius.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Rick
I am not 100% sure about your question. If you are asking about using an older USB-connected Fortius trainer, you should be aware that this is actually not the correct forum. This forum is for the older Fortius software program.

If you are asking how to use the USB-connected Fortius trainer with an ANT+ interface with other programs, you can look at the Antifier project as suggested by Wilf. But I would forwarn you that this is probably a project for computer and hardware geeks and those who like to play with this kind of thing (often endlessly). When I do a current search on "antifier", I do not find very much current information. Here is the link in Github to the project with the last comment being in 2017:

https://github.com/john-38787364/antifier
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

rick8245 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:18 amDoes anybody here have an ant+ T2028 working on a Tacx Fortius ??
Not sure why nobody else started off with this, but neither the Tacx Fortius software or Fortius Trainer have native ANT+ compatibility. If the Fortius is not working via the USB interface, then you you will need to investigate to determine if there is an issue with one of the cables that connect the powerback unit to the motorbrake or the head unit to the PC. That said, as others have stated, there are 3rd party solutions for using a non-ANT+ trainer with ANT+ applications.
Last edited by ms6073 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilf
USER_FLAG: Germany

ms6073 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm Not sure why nobody else started off with this, but neither the Tacx Fortius software or Fortius Trainer are ANT+ compatible. If Fortius is not working via the USB interface, then you you will need to investigate to determine if there is an issue with one of the cables that connect the powerback unit to the motorbrake or the head unit to the PC.
So what if you have a well-functioning iMagic or Fortius and you want to use Zwift or something similar?

Aren't we computer geeks over time? The approach is interesting, after all I have 4 iMagic in the basement. And if 1 Raspberry Pi is running, then 4 are also running.

Lets give it a try.

Or what Garmin would say, throw it away ...
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

wilf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:06 pmAren't we computer geeks over time? The approach is interesting, after all I have 4 iMagic in the basement. And if 1 Raspberry Pi is running, then 4 are also running.
:oops: I edited my post to indicate the Fortius' lack of native ANT+ compatibility.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

The fact there is so little discussion of Antifier leads me to believe it does not work so well. I do have an older Fortius trainer with both 110 volt and 220 volt power supplies (ugh) and an Imagic (yeah), so if there were a simple way to interface it with TDA, I might try it. But I don't want to launch a career of trying write computer code or endless debugging of configuration files to get it to work.
Michael Corn
rick8245
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Hi ,
Thanks for all the answers.
I just was interested in using the stuff and not coding it and try for days if it will work or not.

The Fortius is not able to work with it as I have read here and also in other forums where I posted the same question.

I have my andwer.

This topic can be closed
ZwiftWithTacxFortius
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Check https://github.com/WouterJD/FortiusANT

FortiusANT enables a usb-connected Tacx trainer to communicate with TrainerRoad or Zwift through ANT.

FortiusANT could be called "antifier 2.0" and indeed it took some work to get it working.
It's being used on Windows, Linux and MacOS (being tested at the moment of writing).
The following trainers are supported: Fortius, iMagic, iFlow, request for iVortex is made.
The software iterfaces well with Trainer Road, Zwift and Rouvy.

For evidence, check strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2885978
rick8245
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Wow that sound great . I will try this for sure. :thumbsup:

Regards, Rick
Jocolo
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Spain

Hello.

Juat executing file FORTIUSANT, is enough or I have to execute EXPLORANT?
Any order to do it?

Thanks
ZwiftWithTacxFortius
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Only FortiusANT is required; ExplorANT is to look at ANT - but not needed when using Zwift.
Jocolo
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Ok.
Thank you!! :thumbsup:

I will try to install Zwift.
I hope that it works.

Thanks
Kyke
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Jocolo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:34 pm Ok.
Thank you!! :thumbsup:

I will try to install Zwift.
I hope that it works.

Thanks
¿ Has conseguido que te funcione ?
rick8245
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I ran the FortiusANT but it doesn ot see my fortius trainer.

It says: NO tacxtrainer found
While the Fortius was up and running.

Do I need to do some more ??

Thanks in advance
ZwiftWithTacxFortius
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Please refer to the manual
After having installed the correct libusb USB-driver AND connecting the tacx to your computer with the USB-cable, FortiusANT should see your trainer.

For further questions, please use the github issues.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Here are direct links to the manual and the issues section:

https://github.com/WouterJD/FortiusANT/ ... Manual.pdf

https://github.com/WouterJD/FortiusANT/issues

This is all well done, but it is also definitely for the technically-oriented user. It would be nice if there was a simple plug and play solution for the average user as this is a great solution for reviving what would otherwise be an obsolete piece of equipment.

I see from the manual that this works with a USB-connected Imagic. Unlike the Fortius, the original Imagic handlebar controller is a 32-bit OS hardware, so I am wondering how FortiusANT is able to work with the Imagic.
Michael Corn
ZwiftWithTacxFortius
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

OK, let's say I agree with you point.
What would it be worth that I package FortiusANT with libusb and create an installer?
A serious proposal I would seriously consider.

Please include:
How to handle Linux, Mac, Windows?
What ANT-dongle should be packaged?

Currently the manual + the downloadable executable is as close as I can get; considering the software was written to get my own Fortius operational and afterwards distributed for free - including all work on answering the questions and resolving the issues. Note the list of the other, now supported Tacx types, of which I did not see any in real life!

And indeed, who does not get through the manual (something I do understand), who does not raise an issue on github to ask how to move forward and/or does not have a friend to assist; is convicted to buying a new Tacx, getting the helpdesk who will assist when problems arise.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Well, I think you've done a great job and provided a great service. I guess it is sort of a market question what a user would be willing to pay for a simple plug and play solution. Seems like a rational user would pay at least $50 in order to save spending many hundreds of dollars. How you make something that can be sold and not subject to being pirated is always an issue.
Michael Corn
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

One question that I posed earlier is whether FortiusANT works with the Imagic and the original handlebar controller (yellow green color, but some were white) that came with the Imagic. Even though the manual states it works, has anyone actually tested it? That handlebar controller would not work with any 64-bit operating system. It was a 32-bit hardware device, so I was curious how FortiusANT gets around this limitation.

Thanks.
Michael Corn
ZwiftWithTacxFortius
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Please raise an issue on github
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

ZwiftWithTacxFortius wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:31 pm Please raise an issue on github
I was not raising this for myself, but there have been others on this forum in this situation. Sounds like you do not have any answer.
Michael Corn
ZwiftWithTacxFortius
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:49 pm One question that I posed earlier is whether FortiusANT works with the Imagic and the original handlebar controller (yellow green color, but some were white) that came with the Imagic. Even though the manual states it works, has anyone actually tested it? That handlebar controller would not work with any 64-bit operating system. It was a 32-bit hardware device, so I was curious how FortiusANT gets around this limitation.

Thanks.
When two systems communicate with each other through a well defined interface, one can be windows and the other mac, one can be 32bit and the other 64, one can be BigEndian and the other LittleEndian.
Each side has to take care that the correct content is provided/interpreted in the buffers transmitted over the interface, which may require complex conversion for one side and simple/no conversion at the other side.

It should not matter.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

That's good if it is true. I was only asking whether you or someone you know has actually tested FortiusANT to confirm that it works. I see from p. 10 of the manual that there is a separate discussion on the model 1902 solid green Imagic head unit and use of a legacy USB protocol. Many years ago Tacx advised everyone that it was not possible to communicate with this head unit on a 64-bit operating system. Perhaps they were wrong and you are right, which is why I ask the testing question. I think it would be great if it worked as the Imagic brake is very simple and far more reliable than the complex Fortius brake.
Michael Corn
ZwiftWithTacxFortius
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

All mentioned types are reported by users geing operational.
aegis
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

mcorn wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:25 pm That's good if it is true. I was only asking whether you or someone you know has actually tested FortiusANT to confirm that it works. I see from p. 10 of the manual that there is a separate discussion on the model 1902 solid green Imagic head unit and use of a legacy USB protocol. Many years ago Tacx advised everyone that it was not possible to communicate with this head unit on a 64-bit operating system. Perhaps they were wrong and you are right, which is why I ask the testing question. I think it would be great if it worked as the Imagic brake is very simple and far more reliable than the complex Fortius brake.
I'm using FortiusANT with an iMagic with the green/white head unit. The solid green head unit IIRC doesn't have firmware included in the head unit so it's uploaded each time you connect it to a computer. That may be the confusion with TacX as perhaps they didn't get around to writing compatible software for 64bit Windows that uploaded the firmware.

It's just a USB device as far as your computer is concerned. It doesn't matter if your OS is 32bit or 64bit. It doesn't even matter if it's Windows anymore. I'm running it on Mac OS with a couple of Suunto Movestick Mini ANT+ dongles and BigRingVR. BigRingVR is pretty useful as it plays old TacX RLVs and you don't need to have a subscription.

FortiusANT uploads the firmware to the older headunits if needed. It's OS and bit agnostic. I've had it running on WindowsXP, Windows 10 64bit, Mac OS, Linux on a raspberry Pi.
rick8245
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Ok, I got it running.

I have my fortius running on the WouterJD Fortius ANT software using the T2028 antenna.

That works fien now.

The next step is how to get on Zwift or TACX App with my Fortius (in combination with the T2028 and WouterJD Fortius ANT software)

I am reading a lot (like NODEJS, Python, Bleno etc etc ) but do i really need that .

Anyone experience with the Fortius on Zwift or Tacx APP ??

Thanks in advance

Rick8245