Do I need a steering frame?

Tacx Fortius Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

taffyboyo
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Wales

I've seen a used TACX Fortius for sale. It does not come with a steering frame. I would plan to retain the front wheel of my bike and sit it in a suitable front wheel block. Will I be able to train using virtual ride without being able to steer?
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

You don't really need a steering frame. I thought its main value was a wheel-less frame support. About the only thing it was useful for was steering through custom courses in the graphical VR courses, which I rarely did.

I hope you realize that the old Fortius trainer is not usable with hardly anything anymore. It was originally used with what was called the "Fortius" software, which only ran on a 32-bit operating system. You can get that software for free and run it if you have a 32-bit OS. You can also run it virtually using VMWare . There is a page on this website devoted to that topic:

https://lunicus.org/tacx-trainers/fortius-software/

The Fortius trainer also worked on the later Tacx Trainer Software, but even if you have a copy of the software, it is not possible to install and authorize it as the servers used for that purpose have been shut down by Garmin-Tacx.

The Fortius trainer had some reliability issues, so I would be sure it is working properly before I paid anything. It is not a serviceable product. There appear to be a lot of people who have recently bought older and obsolete Tacx trainers not knowing their limitations. Current trainer technology is "Smart" (Bluetooth plus ANT+), which is needed for almost all current software.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
taffyboyo
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Wales

Many thanks for your replies.

Why may I want a TACX Fortius?

My cycling buddy has had a TACX for maybe 6 years or more.
He had bought stuff, downloads or DVDs, so that he could ride through virtual worlds or recorded videos of a few locations.
I understand that riding through virtual worlds is not available on a modern TACX Neo now that TACX is owned by Garmin.
It seems that one can pay a not cheap monthly subscription so that one can ride to recorded videos or compete against other riders.
That's not what I want to do.

I just want to train alone at home with the enjoment of riding through virtual worlds.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I don't want to unduly discourage you and I understand you don't want to pay a monthly subscription fee (the Fortius trainer will not work with that anyway, at least without doing a bunch of techie work). What I was hoping to caution you about is being sure that you can install the software he has and that it will work. Some of your buddy's stuff may not be able to be installed on your computer, so just be sure it will work before you pay anything. If he is providing you Tacx Trainer Software and videos with codes used for activation, that will no longer work.

Best of luck.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA