Cadence not detected / Cadence sensor replacement

Tacx Fortius Software

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

DavidB
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

I stupidly managed to snap the cable of my cadence sensor - it wrapped round my pedal...
I repaired it by stripping the ends, twisting the copper strands together and covering with tape.
(The cable is one cable inside another so it was a little tricky).
However TTS2 is giving me the message 'cadence not detected'.
I assume this means my repair didn't work - but I don't know because I snapped the cable before I got to use the software...
Should I check anything else just in case?

Assuming its broken and unfixable is there a sensor I can replace it with?
The orginals are not for sale any more - I checked lots of sites but its out of stock everywhere.

https://tacx.com/product/cadence-sensor ... d-fortius/
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

This is a very simple on-off switch that closes each time the magnet passes by (it is a reed switch). Repairing the wire should not be that hard or be critical. If you have an ohmmeter, you can check to see that the circuit closes when the magnet is adjacent to the mark on the sensor. There were other bike computers that used the same thing many years back, like Cateye. So, if you need one, you should look for others. But i would test it first to be sure you don't have some other kind of problem.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
DavidB
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thanks Michael.

Yes - I was surprised when it didn't seem to work because fixing the wire was just like I used to to with hi fi speaker cables and those only needed a few strands to connect to let the sound signal through.
Having said that it IS 2 wires - one inside the other and they need to be insulated from each other so it is more complex than a speaker cable for some reason.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

DavidB wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:28 am Thanks Michael.

Yes - I was surprised when it didn't seem to work because fixing the wire was just like I used to to with hi fi speaker cables and those only needed a few strands to connect to let the sound signal through.
Having said that it IS 2 wires - one inside the other and they need to be insulated from each other so it is more complex than a speaker cable for some reason.
It's really not much more complex than a speaker wire, you just need to be careful not to have any short and to maintain continuity. As I said, using an ohmmeter/continuity checker is the easiet way to confirm you have a good splice and that the cadence sensor is working. Do that before you do anything else.
Michael Corn
DavidB
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I finally got the cadence sensor to work by fiddling with the wires more. : )
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I strongly suggest you get a very inexpensive digital volt ohmmeter and learn how to use it. It is perfect for diagnosing this kind of problem. You can get cheap meters for US$5.
Michael Corn