Zwift Steering with Blacktrack?

Zwift Online VR Training

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

audunth
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Norway

Hi,

Will Zwift steering work with the Blacktrack (or Neotrack for the Neo)?

Regards,
Audun
Regards,
Audun

----------------------------------

Oslo, Norway
Tacx Neo 2T
Tacx Antares
Windows 10, Android, Garmin Fenix 5, Garmin Edge 520 Plus
Scott Speedster S30 2011 Road Bike
Scott Scale 30 26" MTB
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

audunth wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:21 pm
Will Zwift steering work with the Blacktrack (or Neotrack for the Neo)?
My understanding is Zwift steering uses accelerometers/motion sensors in your mobile phone to sense turning of the handlebars. If that is the case, Black/Neo Track would not work.

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/steering-SyENwVbuS

I don't know if you have ever tried a Blacktrack, but my experience, which was similar to what a number of users reported, was the device had a number of problems, mostly relating to early wear and sticking. I don't know if the Neo Track was redesigned and improved. I found the older Fortius steerer much better.

I know that some users loved the steering feature in the Tacx system, but I found it to be mostly a kind of gimmick that ended up getting very little use after the novelty wore off. It wouldn't surprise me that the Zwift steering system could end up the same way, but at least with Zwift there is no major hardware investment. With Zwift the main optional hardware is some kind of turntable base under the front wheel that allows the handlebars to turn while still keeping the bike stable. Zwift says this is optional, but it seems it would be awkward to turn without it.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
audunth
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Okay, thanks for answering!

I do have a Genius with a Blacktrack that came with it, but haven't really used it much. Mostly use RLVs in the TTS software. Well, at least I can use it as a passive turntable for the front wheel until Zwift decides to support it specifically, if they ever do.

BTW, is multiplayer still possible in TTS 4? I haven't used my trainer in a while, and it seems like the Multiplayer Licence isn't available anymore, since they're focusing on the TDS now.

Regards,
Audun
Regards,
Audun

Oslo, Norway
Tacx Neo 2T
Tacx Antares
Scott Scale 30 26" MTB
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

audunth wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am Well, at least I can use it as a passive turntable for the front wheel until Zwift decides to support it specifically, if they ever do.
I would be surprised if Zwift ever supported the Blacktrack. It is a completely different approach to steering. It would require that Zwift develop an ANT+ driver for the Blacktrack. Also, the Blacktrack is designed to physically connect to older Tacx trainers.
Michael Corn
audunth
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it would require Tacx/Garmin to push for Zwift to support it. Does the TDS support the Blacktrack/Neo Track by the way?

Regards,
Audun
Regards,
Audun

Oslo, Norway
Tacx Neo 2T
Tacx Antares
Scott Scale 30 26" MTB
Malfukt
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

TTS is only Tacx software am aware works with Blacktrack.. in VR can steer the courses or in films used to allow look left/right to a degree..

Tacx own bumnff from the website.

"The NEO Track replaces the front wheel support of the NEO and enables you to steer freely in the Tacx Trainer software 4, Advanced (Windows PC). The front wheel of the bike is placed on a turntable so that you can steer to the left and the right. This allows you to decide yourself where to go to when you are training in the virtual worlds.

The NEO Track is only suitable for the NEO Smart in combination with the Tacx Trainer software 4, Advanced and ANT+ antenna."

https://tacx.com/product/neo-track/
Malcolm Armstrong.
United Kingdom
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Because both the NeoTrack and BlackTrack are ANT+ devices, it would in theory be possible to develop ANT+ communication protocols for other software. I believe they are both nonstandard ANT+ devices, but someone could develop a protocol. I just doubt there would be a perceived market for this by Zwift that would justify the expense.

Back in 2016 some Zwift users started asking for this, but it has not happened, so I would not hold my breath:

https://forums.zwift.com/t/support-for- ... track/9313
Michael Corn
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

audunth wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am BTW, is multiplayer still possible in TTS 4? I haven't used my trainer in a while, and it seems like the Multiplayer Licence isn't available anymore, since they're focusing on the TDS now.
Multiplayer still works. Or at least three rides show up in the listing. I've been using local Multiplayer which does work very nicely.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
wilf
First Bike with trainer wheels
First Bike with trainer wheels
USER_FLAG: Germany

nzuraw wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:43 pm
audunth wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am I've been using local Multiplayer which does work very nicely.
You mean LAN Racing? I thought it starts with an link to the Multiplayer authorisation server (not anymore available).

I want to use it on a bicycle fair with my club.

Season's greetings from Hamburg

wilf
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager

Yes, LAN racing... alas the google maps have stopped entirely now.

My TTS4 license file (*.lic) corrupted yesterday, so even with a valid serial you cannot get it reauthorised. Fortunately, I had a system restore from a few weeks back that saved the day.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

nzuraw wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 am
My TTS4 license file (*.lic) corrupted yesterday, so even with a valid serial you cannot get it reauthorised. Fortunately, I had a system restore from a few weeks back that saved the day.
That is a good lesson for everyone trying to keep TTS4 going. As far as I can tell, if that file is lost, there is no way to get things going again. I was a tester and my TTS4 codes were all time limited, so when I tried to use my license file, it would no longer work due to an expired license. And of course, due to the lack of a license server, a new code is of no value.

This is maybe a bit longer story than you want to hear, but a PC that I had TTS4 on experienced a problem that required me to reinstall W10 and reformat about a year ago when the license server was still operating. I thought I was okay because I had backup copies of the required TTS4 configuration files, including the license file. So, only recently (after January 1), I decided to fiddle a bit with TTS4. However, when I tried to start TTS4 after a fresh install, I discovered my TTS4 tester's license had expired. I have found no way to get my TTS4 installation working again and no one at Tacx seems to be able to help me.

This is not a huge loss, but I do have quite a large collection of legal TTS4 videos, which are basically unusable at this time. So, as I have said elsewhere, I do have some sympathy for loyal Tacx customers who previously made a large investment in TTS videos and find themselves unable to use them. Seems like Tacx and Garmin ought to try to find some way to address that issue. While I agree that TDA does provide a very economic approach by providing access to a large library of very high quality videos at a very reasonable price, there still is this customer-relations issue of those who made a big investment in the past and find themselves out in the cold.

Technology tends to go that way. I once found myself with an attic full of old computer equipment that I had paid lots of money for. Thinking it could have value, I saved it. I ended up donating it to those who would take it. Some of the stuff required me to pay someone to take it so it could be lawfully disposed of. There is this old expression that you never buy technology, you only get to rent it for a short period of time.
Michael Corn
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper
USER_FLAG: Russia

mcorn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:46 pm So, only recently (after January 1), I decided to fiddle a bit with TTS4. However, when I tried to start TTS4 after a fresh install, I discovered my TTS4 tester's license had expired.
Try changing the date on the computer before installation (maybe in the BIOS).
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Alex Masalovich wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:05 pm
mcorn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:46 pm So, only recently (after January 1), I decided to fiddle a bit with TTS4. However, when I tried to start TTS4 after a fresh install, I discovered my TTS4 tester's license had expired.
Try changing the date on the computer before installation (maybe in the BIOS).
Alex,

That's a pretty good and clever idea, but I really cannot do that on this W10 PC. That would make a mess of other stuff. Perhaps if I had a standalone, non-Internet-connected machine, I could try that.

As you can see from my discussion, I really am quite sympathetic to those who have a big investment in this legacy software (mostly the videos). It would be nice if Tacx went the same route with TTS as the older Fortius software and liberated this into the public domain. I think what is mostly needed is a simple player program for the videos without the bells and whistles (many of which will not work anyway without a server).
Michael Corn
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager

I also experienced the doomed PC issue with a corrupt Lic file in the past. In the end Tacx issued a new Lic. If I trawl through my emails, I can see 7 new Lic files over the years. In all those cases, my legit (hard copy) serial was not recognised by the authorisation server.

By the way, changing the BIOS date does not resolve the issue. In fact if you have a working TTS4 PC and change the BIOS date, it asks for a new authorisation as it see the PC as a new machine.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
Malfukt
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

It is strange how we accept that things we purchase will become obsolete, i also possess a very large collection of TTS films..

i am still fortunately able to play my full vinyl collection some of which is 50+ years old and also thanks to resurgence of vinyl have found cartridge manufactures have given me opportunity to purchase a couple of backups for when they decide they have milked enough revenue from the new and old enthusiasts alike...
Malcolm Armstrong.
United Kingdom
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

nzuraw wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 am I also experienced the doomed PC issue with a corrupt Lic file in the past. In the end Tacx issued a new Lic.
Unfortunately, that only works if there is still a license server working.

One thing to keep in mind is you can recover a TTS installation if you have made a backup all of the entire Program Data files for TTS4. Those folders include not only the license file but also player config files and ride information. All you have to do is a fresh install of TTS4 and then copy over the old Program Data folders to the new installation. But, of course, for this to work you do need a good, working license file that is specific to that PC.
Michael Corn
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Malfukt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:00 am It is strange how we accept that things we purchase will become obsolete, i also possess a very large collection of TTS films..

i am still fortunately able to play my full vinyl collection some of which is 50+ years old and also thanks to resurgence of vinyl have found cartridge manufactures have given me opportunity to purchase a couple of backups for when they decide they have milked enough revenue from the new and old enthusiasts alike...
People often think they are buying a well-built piece of hardware that will go for a million miles, but if there is technology embedded in the hardware that is needed to make it work, particularly if it is needed to talk with the outside world and other devices, you are likely just renting the hardware for a much shorter time period than the million miles. Seems like just about everything that connects to a network or a computer has this problem. Vinyl still works because the technology needed is pretty elementary and as long as there are analog amplifiers, so you can use it.
Michael Corn
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

nzuraw wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 am By the way, changing the BIOS date does not resolve the issue. In fact if you have a working TTS4 PC and change the BIOS date, it asks for a new authorisation as it see the PC as a new machine.
I would still experiment. If you have a full system disk image taken at the time the license was valid, then setting the BIOS date to match the date of the disk image, you should get a working TTS4.
Alex Masalovich
Doper
Doper

nzuraw wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 am My TTS4 license file (*.lic) corrupted yesterday
nzuraw wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 am I also experienced the doomed PC issue with a corrupt Lic file in the past. In the end Tacx issued a new Lic. If I trawl through my emails, I can see 7 new Lic files over the years. In all those cases, my legit (hard copy) serial was not recognised by the authorisation server.
Periodic corruption of the license file indicates some features of your computer. Maybe your antivirus climbs to check the license file when the license protection module is working with it.
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager

Dodgy power supply. Every time we have a power outage this happens...
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

nzuraw wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 am Dodgy power supply. Every time we have a power outage this happens...
Sounds like time to swap out the PS and maybe get a UPC.

Since I have been fiddling with TTS, I have frequently been making a backup of the entire TTS4 folder in ProgramData. That folder contains the license file and other important configuration files, making it lot easier to recover from a meltdown even if you have to do a complete reinstall.
Michael Corn
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager

mcorn wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:47 am
nzuraw wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 am Dodgy power supply. Every time we have a power outage this happens...
Sounds like time to swap out the PS and maybe get a UPC.

Since I have been fiddling with TTS, I have frequently been making a backup of the entire TTS4 folder in ProgramData. That folder contains the license file and other important configuration files, making it lot easier to recover from a meltdown even if you have to do a complete reinstall.
A UPC sounds like a good idea. Flipping Air con blew last night and tomorrow is a 42c day... backing up the ProgramData folder is a very good idea. I do that every so often
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
Gaizka
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Spain

Hi, I have a Fortius Multiplayer and I would like to know if it is possible to somehow connect it to the zwift without having to buy any speed or cadence adapters.
If possible, can you tell me how? thanks!
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager

Gaizka wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:30 pm Hi, I have a Fortius Multiplayer and I would like to know if it is possible to somehow connect it to the zwift without having to buy any speed or cadence adapters.
If possible, can you tell me how? thanks!

Check out this post:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=342
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy