Flux 2 Smart Firmware Update Issues

Moderator: nzuraw

mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I wanted to relate my experience in trying to update the firmware on my new Flux 2 Smart trainer. After receiving the unit, my first step was to try to update the firmware. I was using an older HP Android tablet running on Android 5 (“Lollipop”). This older tablet has no problem updating other Tacx trainers, including a Neo 2T, and it has no problem running the Tacx Android Apps, establishing BT communication and pairing with the Flux 2. However, it was completely unable to update the firmware on the Flux 2. It would become stuck in an endless loop of trying to open the bootloader and rebooting the brake. It would initially pair with the brake (blue light on) and then go into the endless loop in which the BT blue light would occasionally appear and then go off.

I tried numerous fixes, which included ensuring there were no other BT devices active in the area. I even moved the brake to a location 100 feet from the training room. Tacx supplied a couple of custom firmware files. One of them was able to load and revert to an older version of the communication part of the firmware, but it would not update the entire firmware package. With this partial downgraded version of the firmware installed, the brake worked but it still would not update to the complete new firmware version. In short, nothing worked.

Finally, out of desperation, I tried a much newer Samsung Tab A Android tablet and it worked immediately. The OS in this tablet is Android 9 (“Pie”).

The Garmin website states that at least Android 5 is needed for the utility app and the Google Play Store states that at least Android 4.3 is needed. So, something is wrong here and the information being provided by Tacx is also inconsistent.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... y&hl=en_US

https://support.garmin.com/en-IN/?faq=R ... v0wlgY1l89
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

Not to dilute the forum, but you should also post this to the Garmin Flux forum where is stands a better chance that Garmin/Tacx support staff might read it.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

ms6073 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:57 pm Not to dilute the forum, but you should also post this to the Garmin Flux forum where is stands a better chance that Garmin/Tacx support staff might read it.
Good idea. I put something shorter up. I already had discussions with both US Garmin Support and Tacx Europe Support and they are aware of my experience.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Malfukt
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Not to dilute the forum, but you should also post this to the Garmin Flux forum where is stands a better chance that Garmin/Tacx support staff might read it.
Yes as suggested use Tacx Support or Garmin forum as this (again) is user only site...zero input from Tacx
Malcolm Armstrong.
United Kingdom